• Water leaking from our neighbor's pipeline into our walls

Seapage of water from our neighbor's house has been going on for many years. We tried to handle it with peace, by making him understand in a very polite manner. 
Now water is literally coming out from their pipeline into our walls and causing walks off all the rooms to be dampened. It is also causing current in our electrical board. 
He is not at all ready to repair hits pipeline, as we tried to explain it to him through a plumber. 
So, where should we file a complaint against him and how,.
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

13 Answers


A complaint to the municipal authorities should be promptly made. In case it does not do it.....A writ petition should be filed in the hc against the municipality and the LDA.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13792 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist,

You may issue a legal notice intimating your neighbor regarding nuisance being caused by him which is affecting your peaceful possession.

Then you may file a suit for granting injunction in the court of having jurisdiction.


Rahul Kapoor
Advocate, Lucknow
24 Answers

Not rated

Issue legal notice to neighbour to repair his water pipeline

2) if he refuses complain to secretary of cooperative housing society to direct him to repair the leakages in pipeline

3) if he refuses to repair obtain court orders to direct neighbour to repair leaky water pipeline

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
88406 Answers
6234 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


First file a complaint with your municipal corporation if everything fails file case under section 133 of the cr.p.c.


Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2946 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Please file a complaint in the police in this regard.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Hi, you can file complaint at the district administrator .. Also give a complaint to the police as it is causing you a health hazard

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4623 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can Complaint the same in society. You need to file suit in civil court for the same. Try to first resolve it mutually involving society office bearers.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27600 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1. Initially serve a lawyer's notice to him to demand that he should repair the leakage.

2. If he does not take corrective steps even after the notice from your lawyer then filing civil suit for mandatory injunction along with damages is the only legal remedy.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This amounts to public nuisance and is punishable.

Try to mke them understand again. Ensure that this goes peacefully, and just in case this gets ugly, dial 100 to call Police. Once Police reaches the spot, move a complaint before them and ask them to book your neighbors for the offense of public nuisance.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9441 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Complain to municipal office , also this act amounts to creating nuisance,

Complain to police u/s 133 of CrPC.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

File a complaint before the Municipal department and file a FIR before the police as this is nuisance the municipal authority under the act shall take appropriate action against the said person.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You file a criminal complaint Against that person with the police under section 268 of the Indian Penal Code which is reproduced below:

Section 268 in The Indian Penal Code

268. Public nuisance.—A person is guilty of a public nuisance who does any act or is guilty of an illegal omission which causes any common injury, danger or annoyance to the public or to the people in general who dwell or occupy property in the vicinity, or which must necessarily cause injury, obstruction, danger or annoyance to persons who may have occasion to use any public right. A common nuisance is not excused on the ground that it causes some convenience or advantage.

You can also file a suit for damages against him for the damages caused to your property due to his negligence.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
6010 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This is a civil nuisance.

You may first issue a legal notice to him to rectify this problem.

If he fails to comply with the issue, you may approach police with a complaint on this especially by mentioning the danger of the current passing through the dampened wall due to this seepage and seek their intervention and protection to your lives.

You may also lodge a complaint on this with the local civic body for an immediate action.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78567 Answers
1557 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer