1. It is compulsory to mention the carpet area in sale agreement under Rera
2. The builder has to mention the cost of the flat in terms of carpet area and the cost for the common areas separately
3. You can ascertain the exact carpet area of your flat from the sanctioned plans. Ask the builder to show that to you
4. The cost of the apartment includes not only the flat cost but also the cost of common areas and facilities
5. So there is not much which you can do now
6. Also under Rera the builder is mandated to deliver the exact carpet area which is stated in your agreement
7. In your case you do not have such carpet area stated
8. So check the sanctioned plans and ask the builder to mention the exact carpet area in a supplementary agreement with you.
9. Though these scammers may not agree for that. So ask him to write it on his letterhead
10. Although you are now required to pay on saleable area, in future when you sell the apartment, you will be paid on super built up area only. You just have to inform the buyer the exact carpet area
11. So instead of withdrawing from the project and seeking refund, for which builder will forfeit some amount as stated in sale agreement, i suggest you to stay put
12. But just require this scammer to tell you the exact carpet area of your apartment as reflecting in the sanctioned plan lest builder will be liable for rera violation
13. Also note as per rera, the area of balconies is excluded from carpet area. Also, as idiotic as it may sound, the area under internal walls is included in carpet area, even though such area can never be used by anybody as it is covered by a wall.
14. Another confusion is regarding the different computation of carpet area as per development rules. The building plans including the layout of new flats are prepared in accordance with the development rules whose carpet area definition is different from definition of carpet area given in rera. But since rera is a central act, it will prevail over the state development rules
15. Its really sad that builders still continue to practice such unscrupulous practice when it is mandated under rera that informing about carpet area in agreement is compulsory
16. Lastly, on possession, check the carpet area by physically measuring it through a professional. If there is any discrepancy, then builder is liable to pay you for deficit area at prevalent market value