• Newspaper article about my divorce

My wife has filed for divorce and maintenance money, now i have come to know that she has given in a local news paper about our divorce and stated that chats with my girlfriend ( with her name) as cause for it ? Can any news paper can publish such things about our personal life ? without any court decision, and what should i do in reply ??
Asked 5 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

13 Answers


send a legal notice to the newspaper and your wife and submit the notice along with the newspaper cutting before the court. this act should also be brought before the magistrate hearing the maintenance application.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13998 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If false allegations are made against your girl friend then she should issue legal notice to your wife and newspaper to with draw false and defamatory statement made

2) if wife refuses your girl friend should file case of criminal defamation against your wife under section 500of IPC

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
91361 Answers
6829 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) If such things had really happened in your case than you can file defamation case against that newspaper editor who had published your personal life matter in the newspaper.

2) Court does not give divorce on newspaper evidence it's really depends on husband and wife decision.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12745 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

It's not correct

Its defamation and maligning of image

You can file both police case as well as civil case in court seeking damages

Yusuf Rampurawala
Advocate, Mumbai. E: adv.yusuf.rampurawala@gmail.com
7198 Answers
79 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


If it is not true then file a defamation suit and if true then send them legal notice before you proceed further.

Thanks and regards

Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2954 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

1. You can certainly file a defamation suit against your wife and also the Newspaper for publishing the false news which has caused defamation to you in your society and amongst your friends and relatives.

2. You can cl;aim payment of substantial amount towards compensation for the said defamation caused to you by your wife and also the said Newspaper by publishing the said false news.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26987 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Firslty, newspaper may be used for the purpose to announce something which must not defame anyone in any manner.

Secondly, she should not have done so for sure as per law.

Thirdly, you should file defamation case against your wife as well as the newspaper publisher.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5468 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Since your girlfriend and you both are defamed file separately that will be better suit of defamation against wife and newspaper claiming damages for loss of reputation.

And further file a criminal private complaint with the magistrate against same parties under 499 and 500 IPC for the defamation as it is offence.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25514 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You have to issue a legal notice to your wife and said news paper editors and to file civil suit for deformation as well as criminal case against them. All the best.

C. V. Jadhav
Advocate, Bangalore
545 Answers
18 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

You can file a complaint before the concerned police station for the offence of defamation and also you can file a suit for damages

Konda Srinivas
Advocate, Hyderabad
211 Answers
2 Consultations

Not rated

1. Press has the right to report the facts of a pending case in the court and also its outcome except if there is an order of the court against doing it. Fair reporting of a pending case, as opposed to prejudging and declaring the guilt of the parties to the case, is permissible. If the newspaper has only made a fair reporting of the pending case then it cannot be held liable for defamation.

2. Depending on the actual tone and tenor of the newspaper item, you may have a cause of action to sue your wife for defamation. Show the news item to a lawyer to get a unambiguous answer.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It is prohibited by law. You can take legal action against paper

Jugal Kishore Agrawal
Advocate, Jaipur
81 Answers

Not rated

It is strange that a person has given a public notice in this manner.

No doubt there is no law to control this menace but since it is a question of your reputation in society you may issue a legal notice show causing why legal action cannot be taken against her for this defamatory public notice.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
81541 Answers
1838 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer