• Seperation from parents

Hi, I am living with parents right now. I want stand for local body election. As property in my name is small, and in parents name is big. While submitting income and asset certificate, I want to submit income of mine only. I want to state that I am separated from parents and no longer there income belongs to me.

What is the legal procedures to separate from parents..???
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

16 Answers

1. Since you are adult you need to furnish property details of your own only. The property belongs to your parents does not own by you and hence there is nor requirement to furnish such details.

2. If the column asking for property details is silent on the details of property of your parents which is most unlikely there is absolute no need to do so.

3. For your career do not think of abandoning your parents. They are more important than your career. Keep this in mind for ever.

All the best.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
409 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You are at liberty to stand for elections

2) you have to submit details of your income and assets

3) you have no share in parents income during their lifetime

4) only in their demise intestate is without a will woukd you inherit any property

5) no need to be separated from parents

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89083 Answers
6362 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Firstly, there has not been any specific way by which you can show that you are separated from your parents.

Secondly, if you want then you may give an advertisement in the local newspaper as well as in one national newspaper about the same.

Thirdly, yes, you need to show only that part of your income which you already have in any form, but not which you may get in future by any reason.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5468 Answers
13 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Sir there property won't be considered as yours in election you have to disclose only your assets not your parents assets as you don't have any right in self.earned property of parents.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


There is no such hard and fast rules . But if you have separate home you can get your as had card in your name in that address and ration card in your name only .

A mere declaration would be sufficient.

Thanks and regards

Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2947 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Ask your parent to publish a public notice through an advocate for disowning you from their property. You need to get the same published in two leading newspapers in English and one in local language.

Ruchit Dugar
Advocate, New Delhi
190 Answers

4.9 on 5.0

This is my response to you:

1. Once you are an adult then you nothing to worry;

2. If you are living in your parent's home then it could be a problem, but still should not affect your candidature;

3. Therefore you can easily contest the election without worries;

4. If you are worried about the same, then write the same in a clause in your election affidavit.

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. There is no legal procedure for separation from parents. If one has attained the age of consent i.e 18 years he is free to leave his parental home.

2. You are free to submit your income and asset certificate only. There is no need to even state that you are separated from your parents.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hello sir , if the nomination form requires personal income only , then you can state your income.. However , if it requires family income you have to mention the same

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4626 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You do not have to disclose your parents assets in your income and assets affidavit, as you have no right in the self acquired property of your parents during their lifetime. You only have to state property, income and other assets which are in your name.

Our law doesn't recognise disowning. You cannot legally change your relation with them to not related.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
6095 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

In income declaration, parent`s income dose not included but of wife and close associates.

Parents income shall be disclosed only if they are dependent on you. otherwise not.

Your parents can publish declaration in newspaper of disinherit (bedakhal).

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Dear, the property belongs to your parents does not belong to you during their life time. Likewise, their income does not belong to you. Hence, the question of separation from parents does not arise at all. You can submit your income and assets only. You can live with your parents till they wish you to live with them. Merely living with your parents does not mean you are owner of the parents assets and income.

Dalip Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
1050 Answers
36 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no big procedure to be followed in this.

You can just declare the same contents in an affidavit duly notarised by a notary.

This will suffice your rquirement

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79241 Answers
1618 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Your declaration is correct. Your parents income/properties are their self acquired properties.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6069 Answers
392 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

There no need for any legal procedure for separation from parents. The income of your patents has nothing to do with your income ias long as you are not Hindu undivided family in the eyes of law and your patents and you are filing separate IT return. You and your patents if not HUF are different legal entities in eys of law. So you can contest the election.

Vinaykumar Kherodkar
Advocate, Navi Mumbai
24 Answers
1 Consultation

4.8 on 5.0

You can give a public notice in leading newspaper for the Same.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28103 Answers
93 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer