• Service tax registration

Hello Sir,
I am running my job consultancy from last 1.5 years in local area only but as it is streamline now so do i need to apply for a service tax number ? However my annual income is not 10lac. I have shop Establishment licence as a  sole proprietor.
Asked 3 years ago in Business Law from Kalyan, Maharashtra
Service Tax registration is a function of gross turnover. Once the turnover of the assessee crosses a threshold limit of Rs 9 lacs, the service provider is required to get itself registered under the law, and compulsorily required to charge service tax on services provided once the turnover crosses Rs 10 lacs

agree with expert

service tax registration is only applied once your turnover crosses 9lacs

Basic Exemption Limit for Service Tax Registration is Rs. 10 Lakh. Registration becomes compulsory exceeding the turnover of Rs. 9 Lakh. 

If there is a delay in registration, penalty of Rs. 200 per day of delay, restricted to Rs 10000 can be imposed