• I don't want to marry the girl to whom I am engaged

i was engaged to a girl , but some days after i realized that girl is too much trouble maker and starts fighting on petty things.in short if i went forward and marry her then surely that will not last for more than a year.so i don't want to marry her but her father is saying that if you don't marry i will put a false dowry case on you....
so what can i do in this situation.i have voice recording of whatever her father said and all the conversation in which they are talking about false dowry case...
please help me out..
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
Religion: Hindu
1) you cant be forced to marry girl against your wishes 

2)offer to pay the expenses incurred at time of engagement and return all the gifts received by you and family members . 

3) prepare list of gifts received . obtain signature of girl / father that all gifts have been returned 

4) video recording will help you in case false case is filed by girl and her parents 

5) contest case on merits . obtain Anticipatory bail from sessions court
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44209 Answers
2562 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

File a complaint against her father about his threats for implicating you on false dowry case based on the recording you have. Return gifts etc, if taken on engagement.He can not legally force you to marry her.
S.P. Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
703 Answers
13 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

nice to keep record, collect all evidence you will not be arrested in any dowry case unless her father has some concrete evidence ( anresh singh vs bihar) you should avoid to contact her and not file any cross case. ready to face all challenges and be firm that false case will not sustain in court.
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
4973 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. You have taken a smart step in recording the threats metted by the father of your proposed wife,

2. Lodge a police complaint immediately against her father for the said threat,

3. Send a copy of the said police complaint to the S.P.,

4. File an application u/s156(3) of Cr.P.C. praying for a direction upon the police to investigate and act based on your complaint,

5. After that send a letter duly cancelling the engagement showing the reason that the marriage proposal could not be materialised for the threats given to you,

6. Do return the gifts you have received from her family, if any.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18112 Answers
438 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Engagement and Marriage are two distinct concepts. The former does not obligate you to perform the latter.

2. You are free to break the engagement.

3. Calling off marriage should be followed by returning the gifts, if any, which were mutually exchanged.

4. Since you have the voice recording of her father you have nothing to worry as you can use the recording in the court to prove your innocence.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22958 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist
file a complaint before district legal service authority mediation cell for settlement with them, the mediation cell issue notice to them and after that they will try to settle the matter amicably, if settlement is not possible then you may file a complaint before court against her father for filing false cases against you and your family, if you refused to marry.

take help of a lawyer, you may contact over the phone after getting my detail from admin
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4791 Answers
219 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer