• Parents name incorrect in my birth certificate


I have three queries with regards to my birth certificate.
1. My name is not mentioned. How can I have this included in the certificate now? 
2. Both my parents' names are spelled incorrectly in my birth certificate. How can I get this rectified?  
3. I was born in Belgaum, Karnataka and the name of the place has since changed to Belagavi. Will this be an issue in case i am able to get a certificate reissued with the correct details? My passport, visa and other documents have "Belgaum" as my birth place. 

Please advise.

Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu
1) merely because place of your birth has changed from belgaum to belgavi would not be problem in issue of passport and other documents 

2) if name of your parents have been spelled incorrectly in birth certificate you have to make application to registrar of Birth fMuncipal corporation or correcting spelling mistakes . submit Annexure E affidavit of your father , mother mentioning correct  name 

3) for entry of your name in birth certificate you have to fill in name inclusion form . enter in all the details and submit it to registrar office . fill in all the details like Baby Name, father,mother Name, address details and sign on the back of the form…
As mentioned in that form – for 0-6yrs – no documents are required, for 7-15yrs – School certificate is required.
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46822 Answers
2769 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you are a major and have 10 class certificate then I find no reason that you should be having a problem in applying for passport.  Further if in your school records and each documents such as pan card or other id proof has your and parents name correct then again you should not have a problem  with the passport.
But incase you want to make correction in the certificate, you will have to approach the jurisdictional zonal office of Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP). You will have to submit an application alongwith which you would be required to provide your id proof where your parents name is mentioned .
With respect to your other query, change a name of place of birth should not be an issue with issuance of your birth certificate.
Sudershani Ray
Advocate, New Delhi
192 Answers
42 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

1. You shall have to file a Declaratory suit before the Civil court praying for declaration that your actual name, father's name, name of birth place are not what you are claimimg to be correct and a direction upon the issuing authority to issue a fresh birth certificate with the corrections,

2. On receipt of the order the said authority will issue a fresh birth certificate duly incorporating the corrrections.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18785 Answers
454 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

you have to make application to registrar of Municipal corporation for correction with evidence and with affidavit with clearly mentioning name of  your father , mother . you have one more option that You shall have to file a Declaratory suit under section 34 of specefic relief act,  before  Civil court praying for declaration of your actual name, father's name, name of birth place. court shall direct to make desired correction but must make registrar of Municipal corporation as an opposite  party to suit.
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5066 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. When was the birth certificate issued? 

2. For any rectification to be made now in the birth certificate you are required to apply to the Registrar of  Births and Deaths in your local municipality to rectify the errors. Annex the proofs of your identity and residence along with the application form. The registrar may require you to annex a sworn affidavit also.

3. If the registrar does not rectify the errors then the only option available to you is to seek court orders to the registrar.

4. The change of the name of the place where you were born is immaterial.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23140 Answers
640 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer