• Change of name of son

Dear sir 
can yuo pl clarify following issues regarding birth certificate

1. can gazzette for name change be done online MY SON WAS BORN IN MUMBAI
2. is the gazzette acceptable for visa and studies abroad since the birth cert would reflect a different name as i believe the birth cert detail cannot be changed.
3. how to get duplicate copies of birth cert -- the procedure please.

Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

1. Name change in gazette cannot be done online as they also do publication. Moreover you have to fill the forms and file relevant documents.

2. After name change, you need to change the name in the passport, then it will be acceptable in visa. Yes, date of birth details cannot be changed in date of birth.

3. please apply to the concerned Municipal corporation, where birth is registered, they will issue duplicate copies.

Jai Bansal
Advocate, New Delhi
198 Answers

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

You have to apply collector office for name change. Check collector office web site, if online service available, but rare possibility.

Gazette order issued by collector office, valid and acceptable for all purpose. For duplicate copy can apply to through RTI, or certify copy.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1. There is no online procedure for change of name.

2. Yes gazette notification or affidavit done through the Magistrate and a normal newspaper publication is very acceptable for RTO to record change of name.

3. If the child is newly born then only duplicate copy can be obtained. If not then affidavit and notification is only proof of change of name.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can Apply For Maharashtra Gazette Notification Online Now for Name Change,

2) gazette notification would be acceptable for visa and studies abroad

3) you have to apply to registrar of birth of your ward for issue of duplicate birth certificate

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87899 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

The following procedure may be adopted with some changes as suited to your State.


I am a lawyer by profession, and have followed the below given procedure for changing my own name. Let me use my experience to help you to change your own name.

Follow the below given steps for changing your own name.

Step 1 – Affidavit

Go to you local Notary and make an affidavit regarding change of your name. You have to mention therein your specific reason for changing your name. For example, you may like to change your name after marriage (especially for women), due to astrological or numerological reasons or anything. Recently, one of my friends was going to start his own company who was locally famous in his nickname, and thus he changed his name from Rishabh Agarwal to Saurav Agarwal.

Note: Here is your sample name change affidavit for reference.

Tips: Make a few copies of your affidavit, and preserve the original one carefully. It’s better to scan it, and preserve its electronic copy on your external hard disk as well as on multiple computers.

This affidavit can be used for changing your first or last name and also using the same, you can completely change your name (both first and last name, for example from Rishabh Agarwal to Saurav Verma).

Step 2 – Newspaper Publication

I, Sri ___________________ (old name) have changed my name from __________________ (old name) to ______________ (new name) by affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, ______________ (place) on ___________ (date). Henceforth, I shall be known as _________________ (New Name) for all purposes. ______________ (Name) and _______________ (Complete postal address).

Full Signature

Fill in the blanks with appropriate details and publish it in your local newspaper.


You can choose any 2 local newspapers for publishing it. (No need for FrontPage coverage). Although you need only once copy but its better to get ten copies of that newspaper in which your statement is published and preserve it carefully, because it’s now a lifetime issue. It’s better to preserve both the hard and scanned copies of the newspaper.

Step 3 – Gazette Notification

Now for getting your name published in the Official Gazette of your state, for example: “The Delhi Gazette”, you need to do the following things:

1. Visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.

2. Get 2 copies of “Deed Changing Surname Form”. (Fill this form carefully as per the instructions provided therein)

3. If possible get the phone number, or the mobile number of the person of that department who can help you for Gazette Notification.


You need to send the following documents to the Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce), _________________ (State).

1. Letter to the Secretary, requesting him to allow you to change your name. (Click here to view sample letter)

2. The “Deed Changing Surname Form”

3. 2 True copies of the newspapers in which your name change statement is published.

4. Attested copy of the Name Change Affidavit.

5. A print out of the statement in plain paper that you need to publish in your official Gazette. (Generally Same as your Newspaper Statement)

6. A Copy of your current identity like your Voter Identity Card, PAN Card, Birth Certificate, School or College Certificates and etc.


Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6050 Answers
381 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0


1. yes it can be done online.

2. only name and caste can be changed not full information

3. go to municipal office, where your son born and apply for duplicate copy and fill form and

deposit money for this.

Tarun Agarwal
Advocate, Jaipur
769 Answers
3 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. Online registration for gazette publication is also allowed

2. Yes, it is acceptable.

3. You can apply for copies of birth certificate from the concerned registrar of births and deaths or local civic body.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78057 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Dup copy can be obtained from the office where your child was born.

A paper publication and an affidavit will also do for the name change of the child who happens to be a minor

Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Generally it is done through the office by submitting required documents with the gazette notice form. You can get birth certificate from local municipal office.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27232 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer