• Cheated by a business partner


This is Anand from Chennai. While doing a small business venture, i was cheated of almost 5 lacs by my business partner in Malaysia. Of course i severed all ties with him but i want to understand how to file a case from India against the Malaysian.

I will let you know  more about the details of the transaction and how he cheated. But request your expert advice/direction here.
Asked 4 years ago in Business Law from Chennai, Tamil Nadu

In case the transaction has taken place in Malaysia and the other party is Malaysian, then you need to file a case in  Malaysia.

You should contact a local firm or lawyer in Malaysia to go ahead with your complaint. However, once I get to know the details of the transaction then I may be able to tell you a way out for proceeding here.

Nishant Bora
Advocate, Jodhpur
111 Answers
33 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You have mentioned that a joint venture contract was entered into between you and this man and he cheated you of Rs.5 lacs in Malayasia. You have ample rights under the legal framework to not only recover your amount from him but also have him punished for the offence of cheating by launching a prosecution against him. However, what needs to be asked at the outset is whether the contract was made in India or Malaysia, and what was the nature of the act. Indian courts can hear this matter only if certain essential conditions are fulfilled. Whether or not those conditions germane to the filing of the case in India are fulfilled can be ascertained only once the details of the case are known.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23120 Answers
640 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

I agree with my learned colleagues.
Prabhat Shroff
Advocate, Kolkata
141 Answers
39 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer