• In-laws forcing me to divorce their son by mutual consent

Hello sir , I got married last year on 18 June. My husband and his family came to see me and told us that they are Radha soami. Jeth ji told us that they have dinner by 6:30 to 7:30pm(fixed). My brother told them that my sister comes home at 7:00pm from duty and it's not possible for her to prepare dinner at such a time. Jeth ji said "we have maid in our home to cook dinner and other homely tasks and Jyoti(me) will not have any problem in our home after marriage". 
One day jaith ji came and asked me my gross salary. Father in law asked me if I had a CPF (Contributory Provident Fund) account mentioned in pay slip. I showed them my pay slip and there was nowhere mentioned about CPF. This way they were able to see my pay slip and asked several questions regarding deductions. I had taken a loan of Rs 4 lakh, 2 years ago ( much before marriage) for some homely task. My in-laws got angry over this loan and said me your brother must repay it. They many times said me " tumhare bhai ne Hume kuch samaan nhi diya.
 I asked my husband that I come home by 6:45 to 7:00 pm and it's difficult for me to cook dinner by 7:30pm. I said him to change their dinner time or have a maid for preparing dinner and I will pay for the maid. My mother in law said " Tum chahe kitni badi officer kyu nahi ho tumhe ghar ka kaam karna hi padega". I agree them but problem was not making food but their fixed time. My mother in law pressurized me to quit job many times. I couldn't. I am a government servt. in AIIMS Delhi. I am a laboratory technician and sometimes I have to stay late in the hospital regarding emergencies.
My job has given me financial strength. My husband works in private sector earning 20,000. If I quit the job not only I will loose financial strength, my husband's income is not sufficient to meet the needs.
He has severe ego regarding my income and forces me to quit job. I never belittle him on his salary. He is too sensitive, that when even I pay for while buying something in market he yells at me and says "Don't try to show you earn more than me. I have some fights with him as he doesn't let me do important tasks just because of his ego. He gets angry when my family or friends phones me. My in-laws get resented if I visit my maternal home even for a single day. 
My mother in law says to me " you fight a lot with my son aur yaha rahna hai to humare tarike se raho ya fir divorce lo". My husband says he has no advantage from me being his wife so take divorce. Now I am living at my maternal home.
We held a meeting in my uncle's home to discuss the issues but my in-laws are highly adamant in their demands. Jeth ji threatens regularly my relatives to either bring Jyoti(me) back to in-laws home or take divorce. They don't want to initiate any step by themselves and force us. Jeth ji even tried to defame me by coming my office in AIIMS and tried to convince my office colleagues that this girl and her family is doing wrong to them. 
Help me sir .
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

14 Answers


You may immediately lodge a complaint against them for harry under section 498A of the IPC, if you are being harassed to such and extent.

Also you may lodge a complaint for dowry against the husband and his family.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17943 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

first of all talk to ur husband whether he wanna live with u or not. nd if he wanna live u both cn tk separate accommodation on rent or in that house in separate portion nd if not wanna live together then you should lodged a complaint against them before concerned police station nd no one cn pressurize u to leave ur job.As u hv tld dey hv only ground that u r doing job or dey ll level false allegations against regarding ur character. if u ll lodged complaint against them orior to der filling of divorce petition ur case hv more weightage than their

Tarun Budhiraja
Advocate, Rohtak
379 Answers

4.8 on 5.0


First of all I can understand your sufferings and mental harrasment and of every person who deals with these type of cases. Now if you really want to come out of this you have to take decisions like whether you want to live with your husband or you want to take divorce , no body can judge your problems better than you so simply think and take decision only after that I will solve your case accordingly and one more thing never quite job.


JK Singh


Jitender Kumar
Advocate, New Delhi
35 Answers

4.0 on 5.0

Hi, it is advisable to settle the matter amicably by your in-laws and try to spend your life peacefully .. However , if they do not settle things , you can take legal actions by filing Domestic violence complaint and a FIR under 498 A for dowry harrasment .. Do t worry about divorce , he cannot obtain divorce as there are no grounds for it ..

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4626 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

First you have to decide what you wants to do, whether you want to take divorce or still wants to stay with your in laws. As per your situation you need to file a complaint under domestic violence act. There are many provisions like maintainance, residential right, custody of children in DV act. For detailed discussion you can call. Our law firm is base in Delhi NCR.

Akash Gupta
Advocate, Gurgaon
66 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

I think you need to teach a lesson to your in laws simply stay away from them and send a legal notice including a mandamus writ in the High Court against your in laws and brother in law for interference in your personal life.

If possible both of you stay away from the family for quite some time to explore that how it works to adjust in life and the decide what to do next even it is a divorce.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6849 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Frankly there is no future in your relationship

2) your in laws and husband want a house maid and not a daughter in law or wife

3) your in laws can easily hire a maid for cooking as you are working lady and have offered to pay for the maid too

4) don’t resign from your job

5) divorce by mutual consent is best option

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89083 Answers
6362 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


See, it is very difficult to live whole life with this family when there is no ray of hope of changing their life style. You are lucky that they are offering you divorce by mutual consent. The family you married seems to be ill and cannot be recovered till you stay in their life. So, it is better to discuss the matter with your family and give him divorce by mutual consent.

For mutual consent you should be living separate atleast for one year from your inlaws. In case it is mutually agreed that you are living separate after marriage in June, 2017, the joint petition for mutual consent can be filed in June/July, 2018.

For divorce by mutual consent, a joint petition is filed before Principal Judge, Family Court which is called First Motion. After 6 months again a joint petition is filed which is called Second Motion and it is said that there is no possibility to live together and we wand divorce with mutual consent. However, by judgement of SC, the second motion can be filed after 15 days if you have sufficient reason that there is no reason to wait for six months.

The society has been changing but some people cannot walk with the Society. It is a matter of compatability and in different temperament of the family and today's woman cannot live in this atmosphere.

Think it over, consult your family and do'nt force to live in this family where you have no respect and love.

Dalip Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
1050 Answers
36 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

They cannot unilaterally impose their decision upon you.

You are free not to give-in before their demand for a mutual consent divorce.

If they were actually serious, by now they ought o have approached the Court and file a case of contested divorce/restitution of conjugal rights case against you.

If you have been oppressed and harassed at the hands of your in-laws, you may consider filing a case of domestic violence against them.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9441 Answers
251 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Firstly being matrimonial matter, you need to first disclose what you want to do? Whether you intend to stay with your husband or you also fine with taking divorce?

From there on it will be easier to guide knowing your wish.

Grishma Lad
Advocate, Mumbai
18 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

your in laws seem to be more interested in your earnings and money.

Your husband seems to be affected by inferiority complex

Your brother in laws is trying to take advantage of the situation by dominating everyone especially you in the home to cover his own weakness.

Put together, the life at our matrimonial home is becoming hell day by day.

But the divorce is not a solution to this.

Your marriage can still be saved by you refusing to budge to their pressure to give divorce.

This canot be a strong reason to oblige with their demand for divorce on mutual consent.

Even after divorce they will continue the same sordid tale of affairs with the new incumbent.

They can be taught a lesson by remaining married to him.

For that you first have to ask him to come out of his home and live in a separate home with you, away from them.

If he is not agreeing for this then you may have to put pressure on him and his parents by filing a DV case and dowry demand case on everyone.

In the mediation, you can place the demand, which, if found to be genuine, the mediators will recommend and this can be an amicable solution.

Consult a good lawyer i the local and get more such useful ideas and tips to carry forward the issue without divorce as an option even under pressure.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79241 Answers
1618 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You are suggested to bring your case to Delhi dispute resolution society and get the problem solved using experts minds and mediation.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

You need to decide that you want to go back or file divorce. You can file other cases for harrassment meted out to you. You can file 498-A, 406, IPC, domestic voilence case, maintenance petition as per 125 crpc etc. The cases is the last resort if your in-laws changes their behaviour towards you and accept you with dignity then no need for any criminal action against them

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28103 Answers
93 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

In laws are idiot and so ur hubby, Being in Delhi he is earning just 20,000. Sad plight,

U r into permanent job, don`t leave at any cost, else u will left at the mercy of in laws, who are morons, and financially disable.

If they don`t convince, divorce him get alimony, start new life.

And best option without divorce, lead your life on your terms,forget them, Time is remedy.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer