• Family tree

Hello sir,

Our grandfather's property has to be divided among five children and our grandma, he is deceased and also our mother who is the second daughter is deceased. Now our uncle wants us to submit attested copies of aadhar and voter ID from the three of us for obtaining family tree. Please advice can we give such document as we are fishy about this.
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Christian

3 answers received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

14 Answers

Dear Client,

What is the need of copies of aadhar and voter ID for preparing Family Tree. Even am surprise which govt authority or dept. issues family tree. It is self prepared genealogy/pedigree by the family members.

Or If he is applying for Legal Heirs Certificate ?

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

You can give copies of your Aadhar and voter of card

2) on grandfather demise your mother had one sixth share in the property

3) on mother demise her one sixth share would devolve on her legal heirs

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89092 Answers
6362 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

there is no such thing as family tree issued by government authority.

there is family member certificate/legal heir certificate which is issued by authority by revenue authorities for inheritance of property.

Therefore if you want to give your identity cards and not sure about it write the purpose for giving these id proofs on the attested copies.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you can give aadhar card and its not fishy, in your family tree you can add all legal heirs name on property including grand mother and your mother.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12423 Answers
193 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Did your mother passed away prior to the demise of your grandfather?

Please answer the above.

I think there's no trouble in handing out the docs to your uncle.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9441 Answers
251 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1.There is nothing fishy about sharing aadhaar number alone though for making family tree adhaar number is not required.

2.If your mother dies before the death of her parents then she and through her you have share in the proeprty of your grandfather.

3.So ask your uncle to advise the property first and to do this peacefully making a mutual deed of partition is best suited.

4. If your uncle refuses to make the partition deed you can file a suit for partition in the civil court to seek your due share and its separate possession.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
409 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It's better to have a conversation with him before giving any document.

As far as I believe, he is trying to get legal heir certificate from the court.

Habeeb Imran Al Hashmi
Advocate, Hyderabad
18 Answers
3 Consultations

4.0 on 5.0


There is no requirement for you to give any document for the preparation of the family tree.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17943 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes you can give the Aadhaar Card or ID proof as identity it is required for alienation of property in your name and to identify you.

Rahul Sachdeva
Advocate, Moga
8 Answers

4.0 on 5.0

1. Why does he want Aadhar Card to draw the family tree which he is aware of very much?

2. May be he is planning to obtain legal heir certificate from the ward counselor of local Municipal corporation for which he has to submit an affidavit giving your family tree.

3. It may also be that the ward commissioner has asked for evidence of your being the legal heir of your late mother for which the attested copies of the said cards have been sought.

4. Since you are submitting attested copies of the cards only, there is hardly any chance for your uncle to play any mischief ordinarily.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26800 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Please follow the following procedure. Your Uncle is correct, follow his guidance. link is given.



Please go online and apply for this application.

The link is under "Nadakacheri" website.

1- It will only cost you 15 Rupee Per Application.

2 - Ex : Lets say "dad" has passed away, and mom is applying for family tree certificate, you need to include mom's name and sibling's name while applying .

3 - You need to get the estamp paper number before you apply.

You can contact the Notary or Some typing location near notary, they will help you with the contents.The affidavits need signature from Mom and siblings.

4 - On the portal , you will find the documents to submit .

Voter card , Aadhaar card, Death Certificate, Pan Card, Rationcard documents should be enough for you to get this . You need to upload your mom's documents.

5 - On nadakacheri website, you will get attestation for the family tree. The attestation is done by the revenue officer.

6 - As all government departments work, you might have to pay something extra.

7 - You might get the documents in a weeks time.

Food Office

45, Dharmaraya Swamy Temple Rd, Halsurpete, Nagarathpete, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560002, India

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6069 Answers
392 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Since he is applying for family tree it is necessary to provide adhar or voter id card along with affidavit that you people are legal heirs. It will be attested by revenue officer. There is nothing fishy about this if you don't believe him give him true or attested copy of documents.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hello sir , you should ask him for what purpose the said documents are required .. However , you can file a civil case for partition and declaration in court to Claim your share

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4626 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can give the photo copies of the same with endorsement that these are meant for the purpose of furnishing 'family tree' alone.

This will save you from the apprehended danger/risk.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79250 Answers
1618 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer