• Future of Joint property with husband and mother in law after divorce

Hello. I married 4 years back and work in UK. Just after my engagement my husband and me bought property in Bangalore where his mother is joint owner as well. They made me fool during initial days and i paid 30% of initial deposit plus paying emi 55k every month from last 4 years alone. My mother in law came to UK and harrassed me along with my husband. I have filed domestic violence case and now I'm filling for divorce. I dont want to pay EMI but it goes from my account and i dont want to be blacklisted. Please suggest whats the best possible way to claim my flat from my husband and his mother?
Asked 5 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

3 answers received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

14 Answers

You can file declaratory suit that you are absolute owner of property purchased in joint names with your husband and MIL

2) enclose documentary evidence that you made down payment of 30 per cent

3) also bank statements that EMI is paid by you

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89083 Answers
6362 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

Instead of bouncing the EMI, you should seek possession of the property according to your share of payment.

Mere being joint holder, no absolute ownership vest in the property but acc. to contribution towards purchase.

Or, hold the EMI and file case in court for partition and possession.

and if you are major payer, seek declaration/possession as to absolute owner.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

In your case under domestic violence act you can make an application seeking directions against your husband to contribute towards the EMI. In addition to this you can also seek directions against your husband for not creating any third party interest or right etc., Not to sale air given it on rent. Secondly you want complete ownership you should file a civil suit for declaration and possession of the flat.

Ujwal Rajan Phasate
Advocate, Nagpur
37 Answers
4 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Since you are joint owner of the flat, if you file a case under PWDV Act you will be entitled to get an injunction order so they would be estopped from laying their possession or enjoying the flat.

2. In this way you can keep sole occupation over the flat along with retaining co ownership.

3. You can file divorce suit in usual manner.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
409 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) You can claim the property as its your name and can convert whole property share in your name, by producing all details in the court that 30% initial amount and all EMI which are paid by yourself.

2) Or informed to court to sell property and give your money or ask your husband and mother-in-law to transfer ownership of rights in your name.

3) or ask them to pay your all paid money so you can transfer your rights to them of property.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12420 Answers
193 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

If you undertook to pay the EMI, then non-payment of EMI will reflect in CIBIL. Demand huge maintenance which may off-set your EMI burden. As the transaction happened in india, you may file a suit for partition or recovery of money in the alternate.

Rajaganapathy Ganesan
Advocate, Chennai
2085 Answers
8 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

If they have/are contributing nothing towards the purchase of this flat, to get their names expunged as co-owners, you will have to approach the civil court and file a suit.

This suit will have to be filed in the court within whose territorial jurisdiction, this property is situated.

Contact a local lawyer and seek assistance.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9441 Answers
251 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Convince your husband and your mother-in-law to execute a Release/Relinquishment Deed in your favour in respect of the property in question.

2. To get them to sign the Release/Relinquishment Deed, convince them to accept the money which they had invested on the property from you.

3. Since you have record of the money paid as initial deposit of 30% as well as EMIs by you since last 4 years, your husband and mother-in-law cannot deny your greater percentage of investment on the property.

Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
4354 Answers
258 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please don't stop payment of EMI as this will disturb your CIBIL score in India and next time when you will be looking for any Finance bank will have your non payment history please keep continue with your EMI payment but at the same time you may file a title suit in the Civil Court to transfer the property in your name along with all your proof payment you may file a divorce petition as per your schedule on the basis of domestic violence and non compatibility.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6849 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


You may file suit for declaration in respect of the property.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0


File a suit in order to get their name removed as a joint owner in the property.

Produce all such documents that show that majority of the payment has been made by you and that all the EMI's are being paid by you.

Contact a local lawyer based in Bangalore, who may help you in this regards.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17943 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Since this property was bought on three people name, all the three are the joint owners of the property.

If you do not want to make the EMI loan repayment anymore, you can very well stop the repayment, let the bank decide about it and initiate further steps for recovery of home loan recovery.

How and where will you be blacklisted?

If they are taking shelter under your repayment, you may even issue a legal notice to both of them to share the repayment and also to return the loan repaid proportionally.

If they dont give a reply and continue to remain hostile towards this, then you may initiate action for possessing the propeprty by filing an injunction suit as well as declaration suit.

You can discuss with your advocate on further issues.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79241 Answers
1618 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You can file a declaratory suit praying for a declaration that you own the said flat since you have paid 30% of the initial amount and balance amount through EMIs directing the registrar to delete the names of your husband and his mother from the records as co-ownners.

2. You shall be directed by the Court to return the amounts paid by them with interest.

3. You can ask for and the court can also direct the bank to sell off the flat recover their dues and then distribute the excess amount left amongst three of you on pro-rata basis considering the amounts paid by each of you.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26792 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can take interim relief from domestic voilence court not paying EMI and claiming of residence rights in the said flat. You can go for divorce and claim the said flat in ailmony.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28103 Answers
93 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer