1. You should have asked your mother before getting engaged,
2. Getting engaged with a girl and then breaking it without any valid reason leaves an ireairable scar on the girl and her family for which they are entitled to retaliatory measures,
3. However, it is strange that you signed the document duly admitting your such breaking the engagement for their no fault calling your mother as mad,
4. The engagement ring is still with both the parties,
5. They can file dowry demand case with the evidence they have with them for breaking the engagement at the last moment without any apparent cause,
6. Colect document and/or other evidence to prove that the engagement was broken for some reason other than dowry.