• Cancelling wedding after engagement

Hi I got a question recently I got engaged which was arranged and then I found out that girl is having a love affair. & the guy threaten me as well to not to go further.. That made me so much worried which I cancelled to go further and now after asking girls family to return all gifts and doing settlement they are asking for a 2 weeks time don't know why but I'm worried that they might put some legal action that I have demanded any dowry or anything like that which we didn't ,,, any advice what should we do to be a safe side... We belong to Punjab state Amritsar City ... Girl is from Gurdaspur City Punjab  .. Thanks for advice ,
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Australia
Religion: Hindu
To become pro-active and attacking mood.   

Firstly, you can file a complaint that you have been threatened by a guy with the number that you have of him with you.

Secondly, send a legal notice asking for the return of gifts cancelling the engagement or marriage contract.   Enumerate full facts in legal notice each and everything that you came to know about the girl and her love affair including the complaint that you have lodged on the boy.
Advocate, Bangalore
21 Answers

4.4 on 5.0

1. Engagement can be cancelled at any time. Getting engaged does not obligate a person to marry the person to whom he is engaged.

2. All the gifts exchanged should be returned by preparing a list and against acknowledgment.

3. If the girl files a case for dowry demand then immediately engage a lawyer to seek pre-arrest bail lest you are arrested and sent to jail. Seeking two weeks time to return the gifts speaks of their dishonest intention and the same could have been sought to contemplate the legal action, if any, they are going to take.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23176 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Engagement or betrothal has no legal enforcing status and on breach of it no case lies.
2. However if one party can establish that engagement was cancelled wilfully and to cause damage to the other then civil suit for damages can be filed.
3. Filing a criminal for dowry harassment can definitely be a possibility but that would be on a false footing and no one can have any precautionary measures against false cases.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
13184 Answers
175 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, you can cancel the engagement any time there is no legal binding on both the parties.
2. So don't bother much they can't take any legal action against you.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1) you are at liberty to cancel the engagement 

2) prepare list of gifts received from girl side and return the same to her family . 

3)obtain their signature in presence of witnesses to that effect . 

4)if you have cancelled engagement at most they can file suit for damages 

5) you can address letter / email to girl family that engagement was cancelled on account of threats received from her lover and on account of her love affair 

6) in the event any case for dowry harassment is filed by girl family obtain bail
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46884 Answers
2772 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Engagement is a verbal agreement where both the parties under certain agreed conditions, agreed to perform certain acts, solemnisation of marriage in the instant case,

2. Disclosure of all vital facts is one permanent clause in such verbal marriage agreement,

3. The girl's side did not comply with the verbal agreement and did not disclose the vital fact that she is having an affiar with some other person,

4. You have all the liberty to call off the marriage for the above suppression of fact by the girl's side,

5. It is not understandable why two weeks time is required for returning the hgiftd,

6. Send a letter to the police as a precaution under copy to the S.P., detailing the facts and expressing your apprehension that they may retaliate by lodintg false dowry complaint against you,

7. It will be prudent if you keep the audio recording of the conversation of the gir's side admitting that they didd not inform you about the girl's affair.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18806 Answers
454 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. May be that they did not know about the said affair and want to verify from their girl,

2. It also may be that they will take action against fiancee of the girl and afterwards inform you that there is no affair and it was just a prank committed by some miscreants which they have taken care of and you can now go ahead with the marriage with their girl,

3. If you still refuse, they can thtreaten you with cases,

4. Whatever be may, you should audio record all conversations with the girl's side in your interest.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18806 Answers
454 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist
Immediately File a complaint before Women Cell and police station of your area regarding the threaten of that boy for break the engagement with your apprehension of Love affair of the girl.

the police/women cell official call them and try to settle the matter between you and the opposite party peacefully.

No need to worry, do the need ful
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4880 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer