• Can mother's name be used as initial

My husband and I have separated a year ago. We are not divorced.  I dont wish to have my husband's name as my son's initial. Can I replace it with mine?  Will it cause any problem when it comes to property division? Since I have filed property division case against him.
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are online now to answer your questions.

Your son may very well use your name as his initial. It is advisable to apply for the change in the official gazette by following the prescribed procedure.

Swaminathan Neelakantan
Advocate, Coimbatore

Son can have your middle name

2) it would not cause any problems in property division

You may change the name of the son to a different name. Since you are not divorced the father name will appear along with the mother.

This is not necessary to have sir name. Please follow the name change procedure if documents are already prepared to change the name.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra

1) By giving mother's name in child initials its not a problem at all. You can give your name as mother a guardian instead of father.

2) But while creating various government id's he will get in trouble like Pan card comes with father's name only etc. In Indian system most of places father's namr has to mentioned instead of mother.

Well you can do it. No matter what proceedings are there. Relation never diffuse until by Law. Thanks

Shaikh Pirpasha Ajamoddin
Advocate, Latur

It is ur choice. It will not affect any suit

Subhendu Ghosh
Advocate, Barrackpore

Yes, legally you can replace your sons initial with your name . Your son will not face any problems in future for the same , even in the division of the property.

But before doing so, you must see the consequences for doing the same, where already your son is having his fathers name as guardian.

Till date there is no option of father name with mother in specially PAN card and some other IDS.

Educational certificates containing both names , father & mother.

Otherwise, changing the fathers name with yours will not create any problems in future. Many states like Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra has already passed its resolution for the same.

Good luck and dont forget to positive Rating.

Mohammed Shahzad

Yes you can replace it with yours.

No that will not cause any problem later.

Get a paper publication done in relation to the name change alongwith an affidavit for the same.

Respected mam...

There is no need to give name of your husband in your child initial ...But mam in future if you wish to claim property of your husband through your husband then you will have to prove that he is biological father of that child only then you can claim property from him ...It will took a time bit but does not affect rest of the process so it's upto you what you want ....

Thank you

Dinesh Sharawat

Madam it's not mandatory to give fathers or mother's initial if his birth certificate mention father name it's enough to claim property from father.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore

Yes, this can be done and doing this will have not weaken your claim/your son's claim against the property of your husband.

Whether or not you use your mother's name as initial is immaterial, if your husband will be adamant to create problems for you and your son at the time of property division, he will anyways do it.

The property division case is different to that of change of name of your son.

The question is not about the change of initial of your son, the change of initial is also considered as change of name, hence you may have to follow the procedure for change of name only.

You can do so no harm in same. You need to do it vide gazette notification.