• Marriage cancellation after engagement

Dear sir,
 I have got engaged last month without any issue.But suddenly the girl and her father telling us we don't want to proceed for marriage without discussion.Atleast they are not explaining the reason.At last our family also decided to cancel.only engagement has done.Marriage date also not fixed.It was ended only with engagement.No money issues nothing happened.
So, in this case we have to take any legal note or not.
Please give me an advice
Asked 6 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

14 Answers

Since girl does not want to marry you forget her and move on in life

2)no demands of dowry were made by you and girl cancelled marriage on her own accord

3) don’t take any legal proceedings against the girl and her family

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
93548 Answers
7262 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Well, the decisison seems to be bilateral .if that is so there is nothing to be worried much,

2.Since cancellation of marriage engagement itself is not crime one can rest assured of its done.

3.However to avoid any future dispute like claiming of money which was never paid or any ornaments which were never gifted it is advisable that both the parties make a note that neither of you have got any demand from each other.It will end the prospect of future dispute, if any.

4. Even a confirmatory e-mail on this issue will do.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22532 Answers
466 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Respected sir...

Marriage engagement/betrothal has not legal forced ot standing in India and any of the parties can cancel it. Only civil action lies out of cancellation of engagement by way of suit for damages if wither of the party feels he/she suffered social or financial loss out of this.


Dinesh Sharawat
Advocate, Delhi
1260 Answers
12 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Creating problems in your own life by pushing for a troubled Marriage is not a good idea.

You can not force legally to marry you and no venue is open for any compensation as there is no matter of money involved.

Forget this episode and move on.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6852 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

A marriage is a legally recognized union of a man and a woman, which thereto raises rights and obligations between them. In your case the marriage ended at the beginning stage .

Engagement is a verbal agreement where both the parties under certain agreed conditions, agreed to perform certain acts, solemnisation of marriage in the instant case, Marriage can be cancelled at any time. No illegality flows out of an act of cancelling marriage due to a change of mind.

Engagement or betrothal has no legal enforcing status and on breach of it no case lies. However if one party can establish that engagement was cancelled willfully and to cause damage to the other then civil suit for damages can be filed.

Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
4069 Answers
108 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can file a cheating case against the bride and her parents and near relatives for cancelling the marriage. You have to submit the proof i.e. Photos, videos, engagement card, bills of function hall etc before the court.

Ravinder Pasula
Advocate, Hyderabad
400 Answers
125 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Engagement does not bind either of the parties to marry. Marriage can be cancelled without assigning any reason even after engagement.

2. If any gifts were mutually exchanged they should be returned, nothing else is to be done.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can have simple compromise agreement between both the parties in which you can note down all the important terms and condition like money matter etc.

Laksheyender Kumar
Advocate, Delhi
734 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

If marriage has not been registered as per law and the same is limited to ring transfer then not to worry for future legal consequences as there is no essential requirements of a valid Hindu marriage. A simple written undertaking is enough.

Rajdeep Majumder
Advocate, Kolkata
29 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

You can not insist for marriage under Law.

Advocate, Bangalore
591 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Its not needed OR get a formal note get sign by both the parties in presence of witness about the engagement and cancellation due to personal reasons. nothing give and take or returned.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
22472 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0


No you don't need any kind of legal action here at this stage to break the engagement.

So move ahead and look forward for a happy life.

Thank You

Rahul Jatain
Advocate, Rohtak
5365 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

1. Every this fair, never create any evidence, not to discuss in public.

2. Forget about it and continue for next engagement with another girl.

3. It is their problem, the girls has to explain to others.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6133 Answers
474 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

If the girl side is not willing to proceed any further in this matter, you may just forget it, ignore the same and concentrate on your routine issues instead of creating problems and tensions to both the side in the name of taking legal actions on this, which is not maintainable.

However you may send a communication asking them the reason for their sudden decision to stop the marriage, may be, if this may create problem , you may decide not to ask even this.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
83745 Answers
2062 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer