• Divorce in New Jersey

One of my relatives daughter n son in law r in New Jersey since last 3 years. They r both Indian citizens n wants to obtain divorce by mutual consent in New Jersey ? They married in India n went to US on H1B visas. Can they apply for divorce in New Jersey?
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu
they can apply for divorce in USA on grounds recognised under Hindu Marriage Act they can also apply in India  as marriage has been solemnised in india
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46826 Answers
2769 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

they can obtain the divorce either there nor here
Ananth Kumar
Advocate, Bangalore
122 Answers
61 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

They can file divorce petition in New Jersey court
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4880 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

To date they are not citizens of US. Neither the marriage was solemnized in US. Having regard to this, the judgment of divorce if obtained from the US court will have no validity under the Indian law.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23140 Answers
640 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

you can file divorce there on the basis of grounds recognised in india
Rajeev Bari
Advocate, New Delhi
1506 Answers
92 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer