• Society not issuing share certificate

Dear all,
I have purchase a flat in mumbai in 2012, we have all done legal procedure of stamp duty and registration.
our CHS was having some issue with earlier owner of the flat for any due of penalty/taxes by municipal corporation. 
At present all the issues are sorted out..but still society is not giving share certificate to us.
what should i do?
Asked 3 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Other

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

10 Answers

Send a legal notice to the Society calling upon them to forthwith do the formal transfer of share certificates in your name.

Approach the consumer forum if the needful is not done despite the legal notice.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9148 Answers
185 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

File complaint against society before deputy registrar todirec society to transfer share certificate in your name

2) in alternative file complaint before consumer forum against society and seek orders to direct society to transfer share certificate in your name

3) claim litigation costs and compensation for mental torture undergone by you

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
80541 Answers
4942 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Please specify the reason as to why the share certificate is not being given to you.

Send them a notice and subsequently reach the registrar of societies for appointment of arbitrator in order to resolve the dispute.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17860 Answers
318 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The society certainly can't do so and if they do you can explore legal recourses.

For this you may lodge complaint with the Registrar of cooperative society and then in the high court.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22016 Answers
325 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Go to dy. Registrar of coop soc.

Amit Pai
Advocate, Mumbai
53 Answers
3 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Hi, you can file a civil suit for specific performance against the society

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4601 Answers
44 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Send a notice to the Society demanding share certificate. And if in the conditions entailed while forming the Society states that the Society has to issue share certificate after the fulfilment of certain condition than you can bring the Society before the court.

Hope my reply helps you.

Johnu Kanta Bhuyan
Advocate, Guwahati
194 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please approach the jurisdictional District registrar of Society where the present society is registered and explain the situation faced by you in writing along with document proofs, District registrar of Society is the competent authority to address this kind of issues.

Advocate, Bangalore
570 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

If you are the legal owner and have purchased the property by a registered sale deed, then as a rightful owner you may demand for transfer of share certificate to your name from the previous owner's name.

What is the reason that the CHS is refusing to do so?

If they dont have any reason to refuse then you ma first issue a legal notice demanding the share certificate on your name, failing to respond or comply with the demand made, you may aproach either the consumer forum or cooperative court for relief and remedy.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
70589 Answers
986 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

dear sir,

for this you have to send legal notice to society for issuing share certificate if then also they failed to provide you share certificate you can make complaint to sub registrar of society registration in your area.


adv sayyad

Sadikali Sayyad
Advocate, Pune
7 Answers

4.7 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer