• Harassment by mother-in-law

I had been married since 2.5 years. Since my marriage my mother in law is harassing me…
Initially my father in law and husband was from my side as my mother in law is always fight with and  do not respect anyone...
Since my marriage she is feeling very jealous about me and always do the politics against me. She always tell everyone lie about me.. She don’t allow me to enter into the kitchen as she is very possessive about kitchen..  And she also do  not like that that I am eating the food made by our made or her..
Whenver I was went to help her to do any work she always criticize.
She is suffering from fits and many other stomach diseases since her childhood.. Due to her illness she is very pampered by her siblings and her husband. Because of which she do not want to adjust anything…As she is not able to work herself she always try to get the work done from  others….We have mades for all the work but still she expect everyone to work as labour under her.
Because of her behavior my husband don’t ready for our child birth as he aware that she will do the harassment and will not support.  My inlaws also not allow us to stay separately.      
I am getting very much stressed because of her behavior and not able understand what to do.. My mother in law always talk against me with my father in law and my husband in my absence.  Now a days my father in law does not support me and in last week we there was large dispute between me and my husband..
My mother in law always take shelter of her illness and do all the politics.
She makes my life hell.. Please guide me..
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Pune, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu
1) your best option is to file for divorce by mutual consent  . since your husband refuses to stay separate with you and your mother in law is making your life miserable better take divorce and move on in life 

2) if you dont want divorce you can file complaint against your husband and in laws under DV act . you can seek right to stay in matrimonial home or laternative accommodation . 

3) you can also seek maintenance from your husband and compensation for mental torture you have undergone . 

4) you can also seek a protection order from court under Dv act .
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44326 Answers
2574 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. It is a common problem in the lives of many newlywed couples.
2. insecurity of mothers after marriage of their sons is commonplace example in india.
3. Your problem has not reached such an extent where I can advise you to go for dissolution of marriage. On the contrary stick to your husband as he is your only source of support in your matrimonial home.
4. Wait for more. With the passing of years your mother will start catching up with her age and her wits as well.
5. Do not lose your husband as it would amount ending the marriage. If you want to end marriage then only go for divorce and maintenance and other criminal cases
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12535 Answers
161 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You and your husband may consider moving out to a separate accommodation to reside peacefully.

2. If your husband does not support you then you may file a case for domestic violence to seek the right to reside peacefully in your matrimonial home.

3. You may also seek maintenance from your husband. This apart, you can seek compensation for the domestic violence which you have suffered. 

4. Last but not least, if you believe that your marriage does not have a future then you may convince your husband to apply for mutual divorce, failing which you may unilaterally file for divorce.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. This is a common problem,

2. Your mother in law also will lodge a number of complaints against you,

3. It more a domestic problem than a legal proble,

4. I do not think that you will agree for a divorce with your husband on account of your mother in law,

5. It may also a fact that your husband will not agree to leave his ailing mother and seperate from her,

6. If your husband agrees, leave the house and take up a seperate rented house, 

7. If he does not agree, adjust with your said problem in everybodys' interest.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18157 Answers
438 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, it is better you tried to solve your problem amicably and if you go on for a legal remedy then ultimately divorce is the only solution and  from your narration it is common problem in every house hold.

(2) Tried to convince  your husband and live separately from your mother-in-law and problem start with your mother-in-law and i don't think there is big difference between you and your husband and if you go for divorce your family life will be strained so it is my advice tried to solve the problem amicably.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4530 Answers
202 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

Dear Querist
first of all think about the future, if you are able to live with your husband with his family or not ready to live with him.

if you are ready to live with him with his family then try to settle the matter amicably with the help of the others, as relatives and friends.

if you are not willing to live with them then you may take legal action against them, you may file a domestic violence case against them u/s 12 of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act-2005 and can claim protection, residence, maintenance, compensation.

if there is any dowry demand then you may file a 498A case against them before police or court.

if you are unable to maintain yourself then you may also file a maintenance petition before family court u/s 125 of Criminal Procedure Code-1973

you may also file a divorce case against your husband, if he is also ready for divorce then it will be better to go for Mutual Consent Divorce.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4794 Answers
220 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer