• Action against sexual harassment and verbal abuse over phone

A man recently called my friend and verbally abused her over phone without any provocation.He hurled numerous profane words at her which were sexually derogative,harrassing and abusive in nature and it left deep psychological impact on her mind.What action can be taken against that man ?Under which IPC can we book him?
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

your friend can file police complaint against the man under section 509 of IPC for outraging the modesty of your friend

2)Section 509 talks about words, gestures or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman.

3)the essential elements of the section are:

Accused uttered any word, made any sound or made a gesture or exhibits any object or intrude the privacy.

Accused intended that words uttered, sound made or gesture shown or object exhibited seen or heard by the woman.

It has to be directed towards a woman or group of women

4)“shall be punished with simple imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years and shall also be liable to fine”

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95205 Answers
7607 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

That person can be booked under section 354A/504 of IPC read with section 67 of I. T. Act.

Feel free to call

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6307 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Hi, She has to lodge a police complaint against him, the police will take necessary action against him.

Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
5607 Answers
336 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1. She can lodge complaint with the localpolice stating the offences.

2.on that basis the police can register the FIR agaisnt the offender.

3.if the police doesn't do anything your friend can move the Magistrate u/s156(3) crpc.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You won't have to book him under any section of IPC at all. What your firend shall have to do is to lodge a police complaint detailing the incidences and name of the offending person.Police will put appropriate sections of IPC if they register a FIR against that person based on your complaint.

2. If police refuses to register a FIR based on your said complaint, she shall have to file a Writ Petition before the High Court against police alleging its inaction praying for direction upon police to register FIR against your complaint and act accordingly for your friend's getting justice.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
27245 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

She should file a police complaint to the nearest police station for outraging the modesty of a woman and also for stalking under section 354 and 354 B IPC.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

She can make a complaint against that man to the local police station or with the cyber crime police.

Issuing a legal notice may not fetch you any desired relief.

The police will take care of the section and also the law that can be slapped on her.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85404 Answers
2236 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer