• Suicidal wife

My wife is suicidal, she blackmailed me that she would kill herself if i did not marry her before marriage (When i was convincing my mom). So, i was force to marry her without my mothers permission as i am afraid that she would do something for herself. After marriage, she attempted suicide two times when she is pregnant when she is at her parents place. Her parents were rude to me blaming i am not taking care of her properly inspite of me explaining them about her, they abused and blackmailed me as well. Once in a telephonic conversation with her parents, they themself said that their daughter is a physcopath and mentally ill(I have the proof). I work as software engineer, i have many expectations at my work place as i am in responsible role, my wife doesnt care about my work, she always wanted me to life her call even i am in meeting and if i dont give her response she gets very violent, i explained her a number of times not to be rude and told her my situation. I am raised by single parent, my mom is retired govt employee as her service time is less she is not eligible for pension. She got heart stroke due to my marriage due to which i wanted to take her complete responsibility as elder son by sending her 20k ( my salary is 60k) every month for her rent/medicals/maid/groceries etc. My wife doesnt want me to take care of my mom and refuses me from sending her money, I am living seperately from my mom just because i am afraid that my wife would harm my mom as she is violent and doesnt like my mom. My wife always abuses my mom name infront of me. She is making silly expenses and blames me that sending 20k to my mom is the reason that we are falling short of money. We have a son who is 6months old, she is coming back to my home now. I am afraid that she is suicidal and if she commits any self harm when she comes back to home, how can i protect myself from this before something like that happens. I have all the proofs for the above points. Please help me i am in big risk, i wanted to save her , my son/mom and myself
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

6 Answers

1. This problem will persist unless you medically treat your wife. Merestaying separated would not be a solution for this.

2. So take your wife to Doctor or psychiatrist as you or any other family member can not counsel her.

3. if you medically treat her then her illness would be medically proved and even if she does nothing untowards incident the medical documents would save you.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22921 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Since she has suicidal tendencies you can file a GD to the jurisdictional police station through a registered a.d to intimate it about how your wife may inflict self harm and even kill herself. In the event that she succeeds in committing suicide this advance intimation to police may come to your rescue.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

In India, attempted suicide is a punishable offence. Section 309 of the Indian Penal Code states that “whoever attempts to commit suicide and does any act towards the commission of such an offense shall be punished with simple imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year or with a fine or with both.

Many people who experience suicidal thoughts do not die by suicide, although they may exhibit suicidal behavior or make suicide attempts. People who find themselves experiencing suicidal thoughts or behaviors may find that they do so as a result of conditions such as depression, hopelessness, severe anxiety, insomnia, or panic attacks. Not all people who are diagnosed with these or other medical or mental health conditions will experience suicidal ideation, but some may. A person may have thoughts of suicide for no discernable reason, but often suicidal ideation may occur as a symptom or result of a mental health condition or after one experiences a challenging life event, such as a failed or failing relationship(s); grief; medical illness; rejection; sexual abuse, emotional abuse, or physical abuse; or unemployment. If a person is determined to kill him/herself, nothing is going to stop them. Most suicidal people do not want death; they want the pain to stop. The impulse to end it all, however overpowering, does not last forever.

Consult a Physiatrist and psychologist. Psychologist can solve her mental emotion and Physiatrist can solve her physical imbalance like hormone variations .Proper communication is also the best medicine. Mental disorders occupy a premier position in the matrix of causation of suicide.

Under section 340 B, if a married woman dies within seven years of her marriage in suspicious circumstances and it is proved that she was subjected to harassment, then the husband and his relatives can be punished. They may face imprisonment from seven years to life. The husband knows that if his wife commits suicide or attempts to commit suicide, then he will be definitely roped in the offences of Section 304B or 498A of the Indian Penal Code and then continues to live in a shadow of unspoken fear. A solitary instance can be considered as an outburst of the anger or frustration. However, if such threats are given intermittently, then the husband definitely suffers a psychological trauma of remaining under constant fear that his wife is likely to commit suicide if things go against her If repeated threats are given by the wife and if the preparations for suicide are made, though having no intention to commit, but with an intention to create a pressure or with a view to gain the expected result from the husband, then it amounts to cruelty.

Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
4080 Answers
111 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) file NC with local police station regarding wife constant threats to commit suicide

2) record her verbal abuses

3) install CCTV cameras in the house

4) you are at liberty to send money to your mother .

5) file for divorce on grounds of mental cruelty

6) wife forcing husband to stay away from his mother amounst to mental cruelty

7) wife refuing to permit husband to send money to his aged mother amounts tyo mental cruelty

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95221 Answers
7612 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist

Your mother may file a domestic violence complaint against her before the magistrate court and claim protection from her domestic violence and also try to get an restraining order U/s 18 of Protection Of Women From Domestic Violence Act-2005.

Apart from this you may file an information cum complaint against her before the govt. authority which should be Non actionable and only for record.

if you want divorce from her then you may file a divorce petition before the family Court U/s 13(1)(ia) of Hindu Marriage Act-1955 based on cruelty.

Feel Free to Call

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6307 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

If you are so much concerned and worried about her suicidal threats, you may lodge a NCR with the local police stating that she continuously pose suicidal threats hence to register this complaint and protect you and your family if she really commits suicide at a later stage.

You can produce the evidences of earlier incidents of suicide attempts to support your complaint.

This would save or protect your interest to some extent if she really commits suicide as threatened by her.

You cannot make her alright if she doe it intentionally.

Alternately you can take her to a marriage counselor or a psychologist for counseling and advise to proceed agaisnt her habits.

If you think that she is beyond control and pose a danger to your lives, you may even contemplate to file a divorce case agaisnt her.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85422 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer