• Foreign decree


Thank you all for your replies.Just one more thing, after getting a certified copy from UK court, will that decree be accepted as a valid document for getting my name changed back to my maiden name, especially on my indian passport. Or is it possible to have that decree certified in indian family court instead. I'm not sure if that is allowed or do I have to file a case all over again in india? What is a more better and safe option because I need to update my name in almost all documents. 

Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from mumbai, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu
you can rely upon certifed copy of   divorce decree for name change . it is not necessary to have decree certifed in indian family court . to be on safer side make enquires with the passport office . for change of name you have to publish it in 2 local newspapers and in official gazette
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
47925 Answers
2846 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The decree will be recognised in India as a decree at par with a decree of an Indian court. You do not need any certification from the Indian Family Court. In order to change your name in all the crucial documents such as PAN card, voter Identity card, passport, etc you will have to prove that you are no longer married, and to this end the relevant authorities would require you to produce a certified copy of the judgment of the UK court. It will thus be prudent for you to obtain more than one certified copy of the judgment of the court.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23426 Answers
652 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

nothing left to add
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4916 Answers
228 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Give an ad in the papers that you have after separation reverted back to your maiden name as such and such from such and such and should now be known and called by said name. Contact Department of Publication, Govt of India, produce newspaper cutting and fill up a requisite form to get the same published in Gazette of state or India. The department will send you a copy of the publication which can be used  wherever required.
H. S. Thukral
Advocate, New Delhi
574 Answers
172 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

as adviced earlier u can do all things on bases certified copies of forien decree
Avdhesh Chaudhary
Advocate, Greater Noida
565 Answers
20 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer