• Need information for updating birth place

Hi, My  birthplace in my passport is incorrect so it needs correction and it was mistake which was identified after we received the passport. We need to update Birth place from India to Nepal as per Birth Certificate.

Based on below link information, I understood that I can be  Indian citizen by descent since my both father and mother have  Indian Citizenship when I was born in Nepal as my father was working as Indian Citizen on contract basis and till date he is working in Nepal as Professor. My parents have Indian passport issued by Indian Embassy in Nepal. I and my parents are registered as Indian national in Nepal with Indian Embassy in Nepal. I have my birth as well as entire schooling upto graduation from Nepal. After graduation I moved to India for my post graduation and after completion I was working in India for Approx... 4 years. Currently I am in US for my studies on student visa(F1).


 I applied for Indian passport to go to USA because I have all necessary documents required for application but due to misunderstanding with my birth place I have mentioned it wrong. Now it is almost 4 month I have been in USA. Considering the current facts, can I update my birthplace and continue having citizenship  of India  along with this what will be the procedure I need to follow.

Kindly advice.

Thanks for reading my issue.
Asked 1 year ago in Constitutional Law from United States
what evidence you have that nepal is your place of birth? 

2) do you have hospital  records to prove your birth as of nepal . 

3) if so then you need birth certifcate from nepal 

4) then on said basis apply to passport authorities in india for reissue of passport to reflect your correct place of birth
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46916 Answers
2775 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

After so many years it is almost impossible to get new birth certificate and since you was born in Nepal only it alone will be reflected in all the birth certificates.
Only option is to applying for Indian citizenship.
Met the FRRO and talk to them as regards acquiring your original citizenship. It will take time but except this I could not find any other better option.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
13197 Answers
175 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Concerned, 

AT any given point in your life if you would need a Birth Certificate for some work and you produce a certificate which says NEPAL as your place of birth then only you will face a problem ..... OR ELSE there would be no issues that you would face ever even if your birth place is mentioned as an Indian city. 

However the update of birth place will not be a tiedeious process for you as would have to  give an affidavit and your birth certificate only. But you would need to be physically present for the same, you can check with the Indian Counslate in US if they can issue you an updated passport. 

Best of Luck 
Atulay Nehra
Advocate, Noida
1029 Answers
35 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

1. To update your birthplace you have to apply to the Regional Passport Office (RPO) for rectification of error in your passport. The application has to be supported with documentary evidence which can vouchsafe that your birthplace is Nepal and not India. Ordinarily, such applications are rarely allowed by the RPO, which means that you may eventually require a court order to rectify the error.

2. Despite the update of your birthplace you can continue to be the citizen of India.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23180 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Normally when a passport has been issued based on the documents provided by the applicant, the question of change of date and place of birth place should  not arise.

Application for change of date /place of birth will be entertained only when 

entries in the place /date of birth columns have been erroneously made by the original passport issuing authority at the time of issue  or 

where the holder of the passport discovers at a later date that the information furnished by him is incorrect. 

While completing an online application  in the service desired field, choose action 're-issue of passport'.

Additional  documents to be submitted  by anyone of the documents listed below:

A court order issued by a Judicial officer not below the rank of JMFC in India (also called a declaratory order)  or

An amendment issued by the competent authority.  The competent authority  should be same authority whose certification was submitted at the time of issue of original passport.  The competent authority in such cases can be municipal authorities (for date/place of birth) or education authority (for   date of birth).  

Original passport showing the correct date/place of birth. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
37112 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer