• Buying property from sons whos father died without will??

Hi ,

I am buying flat from sons whose father died 1 year ago ,
But Father doesn't made any will 
Sons are selling property to me so which documents they need to sell flat
legal heir certificate is enough or Succession certificate required to sell property.
Generally how long time take to received these certificates.
I am planning to buy through home loan so banks also be satisfied with documents.
plz guide me
Property is located in Thane Maharashtra.

Asked 1 year ago in Property Law from Thane, Maharashtra
Religion: Muslim
1) ask sons to obtain letters of administration from court 

2) succession certificate is fir movable debts and securities 

3) legal heir certificate would not serve the purpose 

4) letters of administration takes around  6 months 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45657 Answers
2684 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

An affidavit stating the legal heirs is enough though succession certificate is preferred.
Secession certificate is generally issued within six months of application.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12867 Answers
166 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Since the father died intestate, his wife and all the children are entitled to equal share in the property.
2. As per your narration the Sons' of the deceased person are selling the property to you. If their mother is also not alive and the Sons' do not have any other sibling, then they shall have Absolute right to sell the property to you. In case they have sister/sisters, the sisters are also entitled to equal share. Ask for certified Family/Genealogical Tree from the Seller/S to get to know if any other person/S are entitled to any right over the property.
Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
1636 Answers
107 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you have to file petition for letters of administration in district court 

2) enclose father death certificate 

3) mention name  of the legal heirs of the deceased 

4) pay court fees as per valuation of property 

5) legal heirs have to contact lawyer for obtaining LA it woukd take 6 months 

6) even fir obtaining legal heir ship certificate petition has to be filed in district court 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45657 Answers
2684 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

They require the original title deed and the death certificate of parents. If a legal heir certificate has been obtained by them then it is icing on the cake. Succession Certificate is required for only movable assets. Before purchasing the property you should conduct due diligence in the office of sub-registrar to ensure that the title of the property is free and marketable. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer