• I have lost my house registry paper, what now

I have somehow lost the house registry papers, my father is unable to find them (although they arent stolen but misplaced)
we have all the photostats but the original registry is missing, what can be done now? What should be our next steps?
I am based in Ludhiana, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Asked 9 years ago in Criminal Law

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

Nothing to worry. Go to the registrars office at your local jurisdiction along with the photostat copies and apply for a certified copy which is equal as the original and make a complaint to you local police station of such misplaced deed. The deed number shall be present and the matter of record in your copies.


Sayan Ray


High Court, Calcutta

Sayan Ray
Advocate, Kolkata
4 Answers

4.0 on 5.0

Report to police that you misplaced the deed. Along with that police report, visit your area registrar office. You will have to apply for certified copies of the deed. On payment of certain amount they will issue another copy of the deed. While making an application for obtaining the true certified copy, make a mention of the misplaced deed and you may attach the photostat copy of the misplaced deed.

Shaveta Sanghi
Advocate, Chandigarh
914 Answers
111 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. This problem is not uncommon,

2. Cololect certified copy of the Title Deed from the registration office where the said title deed was registered,

3. Publish a notice in two newspaper, one being in vernacular, about the loss/misplacement of the Original Title Deed duly warning the people in general not to enter into any deal with any body presenting the said original Title Deed.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
27076 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. A certified copy of the registry can be obtained from the office of jurisdictional registrar. It would take around a month for you to get the certified copy as things move at a snail's pace in these government offices where corruption is rampant. If you remember the year in which registry is made then the search can be narrowed down to the registries made in that year which would also minimise the time within which the certified copy can be searched.

2. Go to the nearest police station and file a complaint to it for the misplacing of your registry. Keep a copy of the complaint with you and also the acknowledgment given by police.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can give a publication in paper along with notary attested affidavit and then apply for duplicate

Jeshma Mohandas KP
Advocate, Kozhikode
567 Answers
1 Consultation

4.5 on 5.0

file an application before Sub-registrar office for certified copy of the same with the required fee. before this you should file an information cum complainant regarding the lost of the documents, it will be better for you. you may published the same with the version that your original documents have been lost so the transaction of those properties will be void if anybody do that without the consent and permission of yours.

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6261 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. register a FIR in the nearest police station for missing of papers.

2. approach to the registry office and file an application with duly stamped and requisite fee for issuance of duplicate paper.

3. there is a fixed procedure in issuance of duplicate registry paper.

4. registry office will publish it in news paper and on the local rea where property situated.

5. it'll wait 60 days for any objection.

6. if no body objected then duplicate copy of the registry will issued.

Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5127 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1.lodge FIR in PS of ur area about lost sale deed original papers.

2. apply in sub-registrar office for getting certified copy of said sale deed etc.

3. give public notice in at least 2 leading newspapers of ur area informing public not to deal regarding said property with any person having original sale deed papers.

R.K. Nanda
Advocate, New Delhi
457 Answers

4.7 on 5.0

1. file FIR with the police for loss of your registration document.

2. apply to the concerned registration office and seek certified copy of registration document by providing photocopies of that while asking for certified copy.

Brijendra Kumar Vishwakarma
Advocate, Kanpur
117 Answers

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer