• Online issue

Hello Sir/Madam,

I am a resident of Bangalore. I have an issue to highlight and seek consultation. So this was 3 days back when I added a girl (from Kolkata) on Facebook, thinking her to be a mutual friend. Was talking very normally as to what do u do and all. I asked for her number and she gave me a number that was fake (belonging to someone called "Patel Roadways"-Sohel Khan). I said its a fake number and she denied. I myself gave her my number and asked her to call. She started fooling me by saying that check my given number in reverse and try again. I got irritated and thought a guy is behind this account and trying to fool me. I abused (which should not be used for a girl). She took screenshot of only my abuse and posted on her account with my link and phone number.

Some one called me yesterday seeming to be her friend and claimed to be a cop in Delhi. He abused a lot and said that he would file a case against me as the girl has asked to do so. Please let me know if my actions fall under a criminal offence? If she files a report, would it be against me?

Asked 2 years ago in Criminal Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu
as on date no  FIR  is  lodged against you 

2) if girl files police complaint against you then you would be in trouble . 

3) girl may file police complaint of criminal intimidation under section 506 of IPC against you 

4) submit an unconditional apology to girl and post it on her account 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45663 Answers
2684 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

a police officer has no right to abuse and give threats to filing FIR. you should file a complaint before the cyber cell of bangalore police for investigation in fake account. 

if she files any FIR in her name you can challenge it before the court u/s 200 crpc because she shown herself as a different person and that abusive words were not belong to her. 
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5066 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

The guy who called you is not apparently a police personnel. So nothing to worry.
The online friendship is full of traps and one must tread very carefully before getting befolled and landedn in trouble big time.
Remove your account and open a new account.
Block this person in FB.
If possible change your phone number as well.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12869 Answers
166 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It does not seem to be a cop who called you. Abusing someone in private is not an offence unless the abuse involves criminal intimidation. If you get a call again from someone claiming to be a cop ask his name, designation and the police station where he is posted. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Whether such actions would fall under criminal law or not is a different thing, why did you not stop your conversations with her when you came to know that she is trying to fool you.

Also how can you use abusive words without being provoked.

Whatever it is, the guy who hreatened you over phone in the guise of police is absolutely ignorable.

Do not respond to such calls.

They will carry nolegal validity or any maintainable legal action.

Nxt time when the guy cals you, you can ask his details/particulars and may inform that if he is not stopiing such threatening activities, you will iitiate legal acton against him through appropriate legal forums.

You will stop receiving such calls after that. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
35809 Answers
390 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer