• Is there any law for men in India?

My brother has been in the relationship with a girl since 2-3 years. Both of them are 24 years old.  She promised my brother to marry him and my parents too and now she has said no for marrying my brother.  My brother has fulfiled all her need by giving her money (cash). Since few days my brother is mentally ill because of that girl. She has breached her promise and she has mentally made my brother ill. He has lost everything because of that girl. She has tortured my brother and my family.  Can we file a case against that girl or her family?  We got to know that in her earlier relationships also she has done thr same. Though we cannot contact that guy. My brother's condition is very bad.  Please help us tell us what can we do?  In these few years that girl has moulded my brother's mind and his personality.  I know there are many strong laws for girls women but there should have been somewhere in Indian law for Men...  Please help...
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from New Delhi, Delhi
Religion: Hindu
A promise to marry is legally unenforceable within the sweep of section 27 of Indian Contract Act. No cause of action accrues to your brother to launch criminal or civil proceedings against her/ 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23084 Answers
639 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1)  it is better before marriage girl has called off relationship 

2) your brother should consult a psychiatrist for treatment of his illness 

3) your brother cannot force girl to marry her 

4) your brother should not file any case against girl for cheating as girl may file counter cases against your brother 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46601 Answers
2756 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

A. Before lodge the Police Complaint you have to get all the material recors to establish your case before the Investigation Officer and Court.

B. You have to collect all the SMS, Whatspp message transactions,e-mail, facebook, twitter whatever evidence established to prove her promise to marraiage or her activitie towards the marriage approach or communications.

C. Try to get voice or video records towards money extortion from your brother, later lodge the complaint before the Police Statiton under Section 420 of IPC towards the cheating and promissory estoppel and Mental Harrasement.
B.T. Ravi
Advocate, Bangalore
835 Answers
57 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Law is common for all.

Even the woman cannot file any case for such things.

Your brother cannot file any case against her including cheating case because there is no base for cheating.

It is not pertinent that one has to stick to the decision made earlier.

It is her right to change her decision to marry him for various reasons. 

She cannot be forced to marry him nor can be held liable for his mentally depressed state.

You should show your brother to some psychiatrist soon before his depression aggravates

If money was extorted from him and if your brother has proof for that then he can issue a legal notice demanding from her to return the same  and based on her reply he may plan to initiate any legal action against her for the money he had given her.

Legally your brother cannot take any action for her decision to discard him and snap her ties with him.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
36720 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer