• My mother in law wants to take my salary and force me to leave job

Hii, I got married before 6 months.  I live with my parents in law since I got married.She wants everything to happen in accordance with her desire; otherwise it is wrong, in her view.    i was mentally tortured by my mother in law. I don't know why she hates me. Though her tantrums have decreased now, i don't feel like interacting with her . I can't tell my husband about all this. Actually my mom in law has major influence on my husband n he agrees to whatever wrong she says. I am working women but they want my all salary even my husband doesn't supports me. And now they  forced to left the job giving a reason of my pregnancy. But in reality they wants to control me and want a servant for the home who is available by 24*7. She always insulted me n my parents. My husband doesn;t talke care of me and not even the child who will be coming in our life. What to do with this type of relationship of husband- wife and with the mother in law. She always make a scene while saying u have to do it everything only according to our desire. Am too much fed up with the relationship of my husband and mother in law. Plz suggest !! Waiting for your early reply on the same.... Thanks in advance !!
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Delhi, Delhi
Religion: Hindu
Dear Querist
if you want any legal action against them then you may file a criminal complaint against them before criminal court under section 12 of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act-2005 and claim protection, residence order and compensation as per section 18,19 & 22 of the act.
The court have power to restrain them to commit any domestic violence against you.
Legally they can not force you to give your salary to them by any means, it is your wish, either give or not.

Feel Free to Call 
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4880 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can file a case for domestic violence in the court to seek right to protection and residence in the shared household. If the protection order is violated by your mother-in-law then she can be jailed on your solitary statement. If your husband does not support you financially then you may sue him for maintenance. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23140 Answers
640 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) visit a family counsellor with husband to resolve your differences 

2) convince your husband to stay separately from your mother in law 

3) since you are pregnant make efforts to save your marriage 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46822 Answers
2769 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

All such hindrances and practical difficulties are common in the initial days of marriage.  
Gradually you will get accustomed to such routine and trivial issues.
Dont resign your job for their sake because that only will help you sustain your life if your husband deserts you late on due to growing incompatibility or difference of opinions that can never be reconciled.
At this time of your pregnancy you should not allow such things to your mind which may cause you more anxiety and lead you to depression which will affect both you and your baby in your womb.
For the present you may temporarily live in your mother's house and later on you can decide about next course after delivering your baby.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
36975 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. It appears that your marriage with your husband did not gel well,

2. Now a days, no working lady is asked to leave her job for child rearing. Their earnings are also not taken away by the in laws,

3. First decide what do you expect and want from this matrimonial relationship,

4. After that talk to your husband informing him about your dufficulies,

5. If you find no solution from him, ecide as to what do you want to do with your this relationship,

6. act as per your decision which may be filing a divorce suit or continuing the way things are running now.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18785 Answers
454 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer