• Buying agricultural land in Karnataka - post amendment

I am an IT professional interested in starting farming formally, as a business. I understand that if my average per annum income is less than 25 lacs (mine+my family's), then I can purchase agricultural land in Karnataka.
For the ancestral angle, my grand fathers on both sides had owned agricultural land (during my parents' childhood) which passed to various members of the extended family, or was taken over by the lessee. We don't have any of the details of this land-holding, except the taluk.
I'd like to purchase some land to start with, but am worried that this might get taken over by the government in course of time. Is there a legal way for me to procure land and start farming?
Asked 7 months ago in Property Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
1) you are correct that if your family annual income is less than Rs 25 lakhs you can buy agricultural land in Karnataka 

2) even non agriculturist can buy agricultural land 

3)amendment act  empowers deputy commissioners of districts, instead of assistant commissioners, to grant permission for non-agriculturists to purchase agricultural land under Section 80 of the Act.
1. Since your forefathers were agriculturists and also your income is less than Rs.25 Lakhs
, you can buy agricultural land in Karnataka.
2. You can get the Pahani of your ancestral land from the concerned Taluk Office to prove that your ancestors were agriculturists and therefore you may also be treated as an agricultist.
3. In the alternative you can apply to the concerned Deputy Commissioner of the District and obtain permission from him to start agricultural activities in the land purchased by you within 6 months from the date of purchase of agricultural land.
The ceiling has been raised from 2 lakhs to 25 lakhs. The buyer must have had an agricultural land in his name before the year 1974. The person should be an agriculturist or an agricultural worker by profession. If you fulfill all the conditions precedent to the purchase of land then you can successfully defend your title against the govt.
The Karnataka Land Reforms (Amendment) Bill, 2015, passed by the state legislature raised the annual income limit for acquiring land by persons not engaged in agriculture from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 25 lakh. The Karnataka Land Reforms (Amendment) Bill, 2015, which was passed by the state legislature  raises the annual income limit for acquiring land by persons not engaged in agriculture from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 25 lakh. 

Since the bill enhancing the income limit from 2 lacs to 25 lacs have been introduced and passed by the state assembly, you may just wait for the enactment of the same through amendments to the land reforms act and can confirm the further conditions in the amendment. 
In my opinion you may go ahead with the proposed purchase without the fear of such aspects.