• Adverse police verification

My wife applied for passport renewal and while applying she was on maternity leave and was in her home town. She was there for more than 10 months and planned to quite her job once the leave it over and go and put down her papers. While applying she did not mention that she was working on a different location. After receiving the passport, she got a letter stating working and the time she stayed in different location was hidden. She was working at bangalore for 3 months after that she went for maternity leave and was at home town for more than 1 year and currently she has put down her papers to take care of the Kid. She went to RPO to check on the status and re-initate the police verification but it did not happened. When she approached to local police station they asked her to check with the RPO. Not sure what to do now.
Asked 2 years ago in Criminal Law from United States
Religion: Hindu
1. It is a wrong step to hide information from passport authority,

2. The application will not be processed at all for hiding information,

3. Your wife shall have to write to the passport authority informing the reason for omitting to submit those information,

4. Let her meet the passport authority to settle the matter. 
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18164 Answers
439 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) your wife can submit application for re verification by regd post 

2) Track the delivery. The status would change to 'verification in progress' from 'adverse report'

3) if your wife has suppressed material facts show cause notice would be issued as to wehy passport should not be impounded 

4)If you are certain why an adverse report has been generated, you could send an application through registered post to the RPO explaining why police submitted an adverse report.

If the RPO finds your reply satisfactory, your letter would be treated as a request to reinitiate the police verification process. You could track the status of your case online through your file number.
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44485 Answers
2586 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Did she receive any notice from passport office asking her to explain about the adverse report given by police with reference to issuance of passport?
If she has received any notice, she may give her explanation show causing the reasons that why she was not available in the given address  with some documentary evidence supporting her affidavit. 
She can make this explanation in an affidavit format and get it notarised before sending it to the authorities. 
If need be, she may take an appointment to explain her situation in person with the authorities and convince them for reconsidering her application 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34622 Answers
373 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You ought to mention true information while applying for passport, concealment thereof is an offence which entails punishment for up to 2 years. She may now file an affidavit to state that the omission was not intentional.The RPO may accept your affidavit subject to penalty. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

if particulars of the passport are same no pre police verification is necessary. RPO should re-issue passport and then he can call for police verification (if he think so). rules regarding re-issue of passport has now changed. you should file representation letter to the RPO for re-issue of passport on the post police  verification basis. 
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
4989 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer