• Copyright

Respected sir,
i want  to  publish  a  book  but  problem  is  that  i  have  registered  it  with  my  real  name  - have  used  a  single name in my entire application- now  it  is  an  e-book  and  i  want  to  use  a  pen-name  instead of  my  real  name . Problem  is  what  should i  mention  on  my  copyright  page - for  example if i  use my real  name of copyrights page than it  will  clash with my pen-name that is on cover .
Can  i  just  use a copyright symbol with my pen-name as my work is registered with my real  name.Thank you.
Asked 8 months ago in Intellectual Property from Vasai, Maharashtra
1) if you write under a pseudonym but want to be identified by your legal name in the Copyright Office’s records, give your legal name and your pseudonym on your application for copyright registration.

2)  Your work should be registered under your legal name. Any professional pseudonyms that you use should be inserted in the appropriate field during registration. Your legal name and any professional pseudonyms will be displayed on your registration.
You should use your real name when creating your copyright. If there is a dispute relating to copyright infringement then it will be difficult for you to prove that you are the owner of copyright.
You can choose the following
a) copyright symbol with your  pen-name as your work is registered with your real  name
Can  i  just  use a copyright symbol with my pen-name as my work is registered with my real  name

Under the given situation this may be the right option.
However there is a  provision to make corrections in the registrations of th copy right as per the section 17 of the act which reads as :
17. Correction of entries in the Register of Copyrights. —
The Registrar of Copyrights may, on his own motion or on application of any interested
person, amend, or alter the Register of Copyrights in the manner specified in section 49
after giving, wherever practicable, to the person affected by such amendment or
alteration, an opportunity to show cause against such amendment or alteration, and
communicate to such person the amendment or alteration made. 

You may take the help of a copy right agent and get the necessary amendments carried out as per your desire. 

Under INDIAN COPYRIGHT ACT 1957 u/s 54.the expression "owner of copyright" shall include ---
(a) an exclusive licensee;
(b) in the case of an anonymous or pseudonymous literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, the publisher of the work, until the identity of the author or, in the case of an anonymous work of joint authorship, or a work of joint authorship published under names all of which are pseudonyms, the identity of any of the authors, is disclosed publicly by the author and the publisher or is otherwise established to the satisfaction of the Copyright Board by that author or his legal representatives.

So the suggestion will be to file as follows:
1) When filing for copyright protection for your writing, use your real name for “Copyright Claimant” and your pen name for “Name of Author.”

So for the purpose of usage, you should use the copyright symbol with your  pen-name as your work is registered with your real  name.

Hope this helps.

Intellectual Property Lawyers

Sidharth Das
Sudershani Ray
Deepak Tiwari