• Change of name

My name is Priyank Rajen Vora. I have finished my B.Com from mumbai. My father's name on all my marksheets has been spelt as Rajan. this has been the case as it was entered in the school records incorrectly. i want to change it back to normal as i will be applying to universities abroad for further education. when i asked a lawyer i was told to make achange of name application in the official govt gazette but i am not sure if it will be accepted in the ambessy for a student visa. kindly help with the procedure and please let me know if the gazette will be accepted.
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Greater Mumbai, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu
You have to apply to the university and board, as the case may be, to rectify the error. There is no question of making a publication in the official gazette as you are applying for rectification of error and not change of name. If the application for rectification is disallowed by the university or board then you will have to seek appropriate directions from the civil court.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) it is a minor typographical error wherein words Rajan has been written instead of Rajen 

2) board may not agree to rectify typo error after so many years 

3) it may insist on court orders 

4) better have change of nane published in official gazette as suggested by your lawyer 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44458 Answers
2585 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, if you want to  correct the father name which was wrongly mentioned in the school records then you have to file a suit before the court.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4537 Answers
202 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

At this stage a change of name as per the laid down procedures will be the roper solution and remedy to your issue.
The government gazette publication is the only authentic document to prove your change of name and any other form of changing the name shall be by a competent court of law's declaration by passing a declaratory judgment in the declaration suit.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34582 Answers
373 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer