• Son getting married with poor girl

My son is getting married with a economical backward girl. After marriage they will not be staying with us. 
We have  apprihenson that girl or her family may harass us legally on dowery or related charges. 
How do we safeguard us from such harassment?
Asked 2 years ago in Civil Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
Dont try to take precautions on mere guesses about what may happen due to the circumstances etc. 
Precautions can be taken only when there is likelihood of an action through police in case of any such event. 
If you anticipate the bride side to be problem some you may keep both of them separately away from your house, this may help you not getting trapped if they are intentionally trying to harm you even before the marriage being solemnised. Or you may stop the marriage itself from happening if you are very sure that girl side will create problems after the marriage.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
35867 Answers
390 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) prepare  list of gifts exchanged at time of marriage 

2) it should be signed by both the bride bridegroom and the patents 

3) you can ask girl to execute an affidavit that no dowry was demanded or given at time of marriage 

4) do video recording of entire matraige ceremony 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45700 Answers
2688 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you have such apprehension then disassociate yourself from your son and his wife after marriage. If dowry complaint is filed against you and other family members then seek anticipatory bail to preempt being arrested.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Take an affidavit from the girl that you or any of your family members have not taken any dowry or any other Article from her or her family members,

2.  Please keep in mind that your proposal for taking such Affidavit may adversely affect your relationship with the family of your son's  in ;laws,

3. Make sure that you take no amount from her family, even as a loan, which can be claimed as dowry given to you.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18533 Answers
449 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You may disown your child and prepare a WILL or reverse mortgage your properties to Bank. Bank will give fixed amount per month till your whole life. Thereafter property will devolve to your legal heirs.  
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5066 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer