• In-laws harassing for dowry, husband mistreating

Hello sir. I got married 9 months back, arranged marriage, both me and my husband are doctors.before our engagement my mother in law said that they dont want any kind of dowry but 4 days before our wedding she told the whole list of things which should be given to them. My parents were not able to give around half of the things during marriage because of lack of money. Since my marriage , my in laws has been torturing me mentally about things not given to them. Initially my husband used to support me and said that we will buy things from my salary which I was giving slowly.. I gave around 2 laks from my salary as cash and bought household things worth 1 lakh .they were not satisfied and used to torture me for small small things.Even my husband doesnt like their nature and speaks very rarely to them but he wanted me to be ideal bahu and tolerate all their curses and taunts. Initial 8 months I tried but last month they became really abusive and I fought against them. They got really angry as how a bahu  can open her mouth. I made my mind of not staying with them but husband didnt agree thinking what society will speak. Somehow he agreed to have separate kitchen from them, but asked me to do all the house works and leave my job. also I should never meet my parents.Husband is very moody and suspects me for small small things says that I  am intersted in another man. He abuses me with really bad words on and off depending on his mood.always checks my mobile. For 5 days he locked the main gate and didnt allowed me to go out neither meet my brother or parents and made me to do all house work even when I had high fever.somehow I managed to come back to my parents house and informed my husband that I have come here but still he abused me with whom I slept.I thought he will regret for how he treated me but instead he is still abusive that says that I have left him.it has been one month since I left but still no calls from him only abusive words. I dont want to go back.and want to put case against them for dowry and mental harrasment and want separation. They treat woman as an object with no freedom and I want to teach them a lesson .How strong is my case?
Asked 10 months ago in Criminal Law from Durg, Chhattisgarh
Your case is very strong, if they are abusive and demanding dowry and treating you like an ATM machine (Anytime Money) then they should be taught a lesson, the society is full of such people who mistreat women, men support such abuse, you should not.
go ahead and file dowry harassment case against them and also Domestic violence cases do not bear this torture any longer. If your husband is sorry or apologies for his behavior with you in the past then forgive him and try to continue your marriage otherwise file for divorce and live your life. You are independent working lady, doctor by profession, you don't have to live in anybody's shadow.
teach your in laws a lesson they cannot forget in their lifetime. 
1) you have strong case on merits 

2) you can file complaint under section  498A for dowry harassment against husband and in laws 

3) you can also file case under DV act and seek protection order against in laws and compensation for mental torture undergone by you 

4) you are highly qualified doctor and not a maid servant for doing only household chores . 

5) no need to leave your job and bear tantrums of husband and in laws 
You are free to file a criminal complaint for dowry harassment against him which may result in their criminal prosecution. Furthermore, a case for domestic violence to claim compensation for the violence suffered by you can also also be filed. If you wish to return to your matrimonial home then you can also claim protection and residence orders from the court. If the protection order is violated by any one of them the violator can be jailed on your solitary statement. 
1) we do not advice yiu to make false allegations in complaint filed by you 

2) case For 498A  has to be filed wherein offence has been committed 
You can refuse to state this in your case. The case will proceed where you resided with your husband. You do not have to attend the court personally,
Under the given situations, it will be very hard and difficult for you to continue your married life because you are meted with double edged weapon, one dowry demand and harassment from your n laws and another the suspicions by your husband and tortures thereon.
You can decide about lodging complaints for dowry harassment, breach of trust, criminal intimidation, physical and mental abuses etc, besides complaint under domestic violence and also maintenance.
If need be you may even decide about filing a divorce case on the grounds of mental cruelty 
Ok sir. But my lawyer is asking me to add falsely  in my complaint that my inlaws demanded 25 lakhs during wedding and that I was beaten by my inlaws after marriage, which I am not in favour of. Also he is saying that the case will run in the city where my husband and inlaws stay not where I give the complaint that is my parent's place.If its true it will be a torture for me to go to his place again and again for hearings. What to do?
If you find your lawyer is not trustworthy, you may change the lawyer instead of depending on him who may spoil your future life also. 
If there was a dowry demand, you may mention it in the complaint without mentioning the amount demanded.  Demanding the costly items like jewels or car etc also can be considered as dowry demand.
You can file a divorce case from your current place of residence itself, also you can file domestic violence case from your parents' residence.  You may lodge a criminal complaint with the local police of your current address.  Your lawyer should update his knowledge.