• Constructing house in Bangalore without A-khata & BBMP Approval

I purchased a plot from Fern's builders in 2004 in a gated layout which is DC-converted and approved by Village Panchayat. The jurisdiction moved in 2007 to BBMP. When I approached the BBMP for A-khata in 2014, they said there is no entry for my plot in Panchayat Ledger and hence BBMP cannot issue khata. Entry of several other plots in my layout is there and they all have A-khata, and constructed houses with BBMP approval. I am very concerned that I will not be able to build house without it.

I want to know the practical and legal ramifications of building house in the plot without A-khata or BBMP approval. My architect has created a plan following all BBMP setback and other guidelines. 

Are there legal steps I can take to ensure that there are no roadblocks during construction from various agencies or any demolition after construction?

Please advise. Request feedback from Bangalore-based advocates who know the local system.
Asked 2 years ago in Property Law from United States
Religion: Hindu
If it is Panchayat are and building plan is sanctioned by Panchayat and may be BBM then you need not think of making A-Khata just now. It will follow suit.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12482 Answers
159 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

if the layout is duly approved by the village panchayath then after it is taken over by BBMP the records if not updated must be the mistake of the panchayath, approach the panchayath to rectify this mistake, it will be done. 
once it is updated, take the copy of the ledger to BBMP office and obtain the A katha for the site and also take the formal approval for the construction. 
If the construction is commenced without the sanction or A katha it would be virtually impossible for you to get sanitary, water and electricity connections once construction is completed.
also there is a threat of demolition if prior approval is not obtained from BBMP.
Kiran N. Murthy
Advocate, Bangalore
987 Answers
86 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) if you had purchased plot in gated layout which was approved by village Panchayat then your plot entries must be in panchayat ledger . 

2) verify from panchayat records whether any such entry has been made of your plot or not 

3) if no such entry found apply to panchayat for entry of your plot in panchayat register . enclose approval received from panchayat for your plot in 2004 

4) then apply to BBMP for permission to construct on your plot 

5) any construction carried on without BBMP approval would be unauthorised 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44139 Answers
2560 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. First of all you shall have to find out why there is no entry for your plot in Panchayat Ledger when it was a gated layout which is DC-converted and approved by Village Panchayat,

2. Did you not check it before buying the plot?

3. Have you registered the sale deed?

4. Enquire from the Vendor being Fern's builders as to why your plot was not mentioned in the register of the Panchayat as a plot sold to you,

5. Get your plot entered in the register of the Panchayat to get A Khata from BBMP by filing an application with details of your purchase and Panchayat approval for developing and selling the gated layout,

6. If panchayat fails/refuses or neglects to act, file a Writ Petition before the High Court against inaction of the Panchayat praying for relief.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18079 Answers
438 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If the land is DC Converted land then you have chances to get A Khata for the same.
Khatha is an account of assessment of property owners within BBMP (Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike) jurisdiction. Khata is important when you apply for any license of building or for trade, applying for loan from any banks or financial institution.It consists all the details of property like name of owner, size of buildings, location of property and all other details that helps to file property tax.
You can download the forms for registration of khatha, plan sanctions/approval for construction and all other relevant details by clicking the the elow mentioned link:
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34275 Answers
367 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, Normally the panchyath has no authority to issue layout plan.

2,  You tried to get the approval of the sanction plan  in BBMP and after that you will construct the house and then wait for Akram Sakram scheme for regularize your house.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4527 Answers
202 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer