• Name change issue

Being a spiritual-minded person, I recently received diksha (initiation) mantra from a vaishnava saint and got initiated into spiritual life. At the time of getting initiated I also received a new name from my Guru ji. Now I want to make this name change official, and want to change my name legally, so that henceforth all my business is carried out  under my new name. How do I do it? Will my name on my old school, college and degree certificates, and other documents like passport, birth certificate, driver's license also be changed automatically? Or will I have to get that work done seperately?
Asked 2 years ago in Civil Law from New Delhi, Delhi
For change of name you have to prepare an affidavit containing both the names and to conclude with the name to be known by henceforth, get it notarised and along with the affidavit, apply with further necessary documents for getting it published in the government gazette.
Get the copies of the said publication and keep it in your possession always and start using the new name in all your correspondences after that.  The names in the educational certificates cannot be changed however you can apply for change of name in the aadhar, pan and passport etc.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34508 Answers
372 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Well the procedure is not uniform in all states. It begins by executing a sworn affidavit and thereafter you need to make a gazette publication. The process culminates by making a publication in the local newspaper regarding change of name. 

2. After the process is complete you can apply to competent authorities to change your name in the existing documents i.e PAN, DL, Passport and Aadhar.They are legally bound to accept this. If they don\'t then serve legal show cause notice to them. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you have to execute an affidavit. it  must mention your current name , desired new name , reasons for change in name . it has to be executed on non judicial stamp paper of Rs 100 . affidavit has to be signed in presence of notary public

2)  you can proceed to change your name by publication in official gazettee and 2 local newspapers 

3) your name change in educational certifcates is not required 

4) you can change your name in passport , driving licence after name change is published in the offical gazette 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44326 Answers
2575 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

No attomatical change may occured in passport, birth certificate, driver's license.You should apply for name change. First you have to publish the new name change in the Government gazette.

1. Visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.
2. Get 2 copies of “Deed Changing Surname Form”. (Fill this form carefully as per the instructions provided therein)
3. If possible get the phone number, or the mobile number of the person of that department who can help you for Gazette Notification.

After getting the copy of official gazette you can easily change the name in other valuable documents. 
Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
2756 Answers
44 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You shall have to affirm under affidavit before a Judicial Magistrate that due to your initiation you will be known as per your new name and both your earlier name and new name belongs to you,

2. Your name mentioned in educational & other certificates need not be changed at all since you will be known in both the names,

3. For changing your name in the passport, you can have a court order after filing an application for declaration that your name has been changed to your new name praying for a direction  upon the passport authorities to make a change in your name in your passport.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18157 Answers
438 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer