• Need advice on how to counter adverse police verification report

Recently I have applied Fresh Passport for my wife. Document verification process at Passport office was successful and it was smoother than expected. 

Real nightmare started for us from Police Verification process
- Police person has not given a prior intimation before coming
- Unfortunately at that time only my wife was there at home
- He was rude and started asking her to furnish all original documents shown in Passport office
- After she has shown the documents, he started saying some of the originals are missing and need to be submitted on the following day
- Myself and my father met him on the following day at the Police station. He insisted on submitting a particular document i.e. RDO proceedings for Birth certificate.  
- Even furnishing RDO proceedings he started saying that wife's present address is incorrect.
- This continued for almost one week.

Finally after I got fed-up with this. I have filed an RTI to Passport office to know the actual Passport status. To my surprise he has given a 'Adverse' report. Now the passport office want us to do for a re verification. This is just like a harassment on common people

As per the passport guidelines, I believe his duty is just to check if there are any criminal cases on a person. Secondly he just has to check if person is available in the address or not (directly or by contacting neighbors). 

I need an advice on how to counter his adverse police verification
Asked 2 years ago in Civil Law from Eluru, Andhra Pradesh
1) you have to apply for  reverification on account of adverse police verification 

2) all original documents submitted are scrutinised 

3) police officer has to verify you are residing in said permanent address mentioned by you  and make enquirers with neighbours too 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46856 Answers
2772 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

you may contact the station house officer and discuss your problem and show all your documents which are required by them for passport verification.

address and other detail should be same as mentioned in the passport form, even the spellings of the names and addresses should be same without any difference.

contact a lawyer personally and take help. 
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4880 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. It seems that cops wanted their palms to be greased with illegal gratification. An adverse report cannot be submitted unless there is a pendency of a criminal case against the applicant. Furthermore, when the documents have been furnished by your wife there is no question of an adverse report. This is the first time I am hearing about RDO proceedings being required at the stage of police verification. 

2. You should move the High Court for a direction to the passport authorities to conclude the process in accordance with the law. Once the HC passes an order all of them will fall in line.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23173 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Some police personnel volunteer to the verification duty because it is a green area where that can extort money from innocent applicants by terrorising them with unwanted questions.  Well this is not the case with all police personnel. In fact when you confronted this unbecoming arrogant  police officer, you could have escalated the matter to the higher officer. 
If you are sure that you have not concealed any information or all your records are clean there is no adversity in the information furnished by you, you can very well make a complaint to the top police official against the erring police person and seek relief during reverification to vet the details through some other officer. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
37030 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer