• Wrong name in online patta

We have a property in Chennai which is registered on my mother's name. We have original sale deed ec(latest) and patta. But during will registration we checked the online patta which is on someone else's name(though we are able to register the will in registrar's office informing the same). It's not a spelling mistake or previous owners name. Its altogether a different name. How to resolve this issue? thank you.
Asked 12 days ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

8 Answers

Taking it up with the Office of Registrar, and move an application with supporting docs to get the requisite corrections made in the online records. If required, take help of a local lawyer. 


If things do not move despite taking recourse to the above suggestion, file a writ petition in the High Court and seek necessary directions. 

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, Lucknow
9625 Answers
303 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Make an application for correcting the patta to reflect your mother name as is evident in sale deed 


2) enclose certified copy of sale deed 



Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
94965 Answers
7576 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If Patta document is given by the Municipal Corporation of Chennai or any Revenue Office of the jurisdiction, then bring the disprecancy to the statutory authority of someone's else name appearing in the Patta instead of the actual owner, i.e., your mother's name.



Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
5164 Answers
314 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This may be an error in the revenue records or someone is trying to indulge in a fraudulent activity. 

You may give an application for a copy of patta to the concerned Tehsildar or revenue department. 

If they find that somebody else's name is in their records then you can register your objections to that,  submit copies of your title documents and request for rectifying the revenue records and issue patta on your name. 

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85166 Answers
2222 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Patta is a document in Revenue records evidencing the title of the property owner, and is not a document conferring title (by itself) such as the sale deed, partition deed, gift deed and settlement deed. The patta should be in the name of the vendor who executed the sale deed in your mother's favour. If the vendor's name is included in a joint patta, it serves the purpose. Find out from the tehsildar's office concerned how the name of the previous patta-holder is different. Comply with their procedure and file a petition for issuance of an individual patta in your mother's favour.

Swaminathan Neelakantan
Advocate, Coimbatore
2823 Answers
20 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can get the sand rectified by registered rectification deed

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
32093 Answers
183 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

Dear client, visit the sub-registrar's office with documents which shows that you are the original owner of the property and ask him to verify and rectify the name in the online patta. If he fails to do so then you can approach MRO and after RDO.

Anik Miu
Advocate, Bangalore
9028 Answers
110 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

- Since, the said property is registered in your mothers name, then she can apply for transferring the Patta in her name after submitting the proof of her ownership.

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
13377 Answers
199 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer