• Minor correction in Sale Deed


I recently executed a sale deed for my apartment, while in registrar office I recognized a mistake in my age mentioned on the deed, it was supposed to say 30 but it said 29.

I brought this to the notice of the builder's representative and on the spot, he corrected it by scratching the digits with a paper knife and wrote 30 on the top. He also asked to sign against the edit that was made and assured that since this is a minor edit, that too before registration actually took place, there will not be any issues in future.

I can see that the number is clearly and he will also get the same edit signed by builder GM, I am hoping that is ok, wanted to seek your advise on it.

Everything else is correct in including my date of birth, name, etc. 

This is a joint property with my mother being the first owner, all her details are also fine. The sale deed has been submitted to the sub-registrar office for his signature and we have provided all biometrics and signature on all the documents.
Asked 2 years ago in Property Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu
1) builder is absolutely correct mistake has been rectified before execution .

2) you wont face any future problems 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44368 Answers
2577 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, as the correction was made before the registration so you need not worry about it and you have signed the correction so nothing to be worry.

2. Suppose if you find the correction after the registration of the sale deed then you have to rectify the mistake while executing the Rectification deed.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4530 Answers
202 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1) you need not worry as you have  rectified error in your age before execution of the sale deed 

2) you can cross check with builder if you so desire 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44368 Answers
2577 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The corrections made and attested by you, if found to be satisfactory, I dont think it is going to create any problem. Further it is a correction regarding age alone and not any other issue hence there is nothing to panic about it to this extent, be rest assured.  
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34540 Answers
372 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. The deed had to be signed by both the parties at the place where the correction was made. If this has not been done then a rectification deed should be executed to preempt loss of title under the sale deed. 

2. Persuade the builder to execute a deed of rectification. If he does not agree then issue him a lawyer's notice, followed by filing a lawsuit for injunction.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer