• False dowry case before marriage

Respected Sir/Medam,
I am Kunal Thakur,I am 30 years old working in govt sector firm.
In month of may15 I was engaged with a girl  whose family was known to us since long time.
One day i was sharing pictures of the engagement ceremony with my friends  and suddenly i got to know about very serious affairs and intimate relation of the girl with a boy.I could not believed it.But one day again one of my cousin told me about 2 3 affairs of her.I even met those individuals and got confirm ed.Hardly she talk to me 4 5 times in a period of 3 three months,never found her interested .I Hardly met her 2 times after engagement at her home only.I want to say that we did not even exchanged any feelings.
I decided to called off marriage.I talk to my parents and went their home and explaned all this and returned rind.But her father forcely handed me over the ring.After this incident his father started pressurized me and my family.His father very rudely came to my home with 4 persons and gave threat that if you wont marry i will sue you,i.will take your job.i will file dowry case.
Last week he filed  in Pariwar Paramarsh Kendra dowry case.I went there and filed my statement.I think i made a mistake that i gave statement regarding girls bad character without any proof.Now again i am given 25Nov date.
I am ready to pay for expenses but his father keep pn saying either marry my daughter  else i will take your job in  dowry case.
Sir please tell me what should i do,there 2 relatives gave statement that i have damanded money for marriage. I swear to god that all these allegation are framed just to force me to a girl who had very intimate affairs and i am not ready for it.
Marriage date ia 5th dec.Please tell me how to save myself & what can happen in worst case.
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Dewas, Madhya Pradesh
Religion: Hindu
1)you cant be forced to marry your fiancee against your wishes 

2) refuse to bow down to blackmail tactics 

3) you wont lose your job in case any case is filed against you 

4) you can obtain AB from sessions court 

5) the allegations made in complaint have to be proved . you can cross examine the false witness during trial 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44219 Answers
2565 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. It appears that FIR would be registered soon on the basis of this complaint.
2. If that happens then nothing to worry as you can obtain bail for yourself and the family members if they are implicated.
3. However before that happens you may negotiate with your wife and try for mutual settlement. The girl does not seem to be interested in you anymore and if that is the case then agree for breaking the marriage and move on in life.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12502 Answers
160 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The threats posed by her father are just to scare you and cannot be enforceable in law hence need not worry about the feared consequences.   
The marriage has been called off hence there is no question of dowry demand (even if it is alleged so), you have evidences of her pre-marital relationship, you can rope in the witnesses from your side who confirmed the same to you.  
You may also give a counter complaint against her father in the local police station for threatening and harassing you.
If the police is going against you by registering FIR, you may obtain anticipatory bail and then face the challenge before the court but never agree for the solemnisation of called off marriage.
Take the help of a strong advocate in the local for your support in the police station. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34383 Answers
368 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, first up all there is no marriage at all then question of demanding dowry does not arise at all.

2. Because of the personnel vendetta they have filed this case.

3. If the FIR has been registered then you can apply for anticipatory bail and thereafter file a petition before the Hon'ble High Court for quashing the FIR.

Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4528 Answers
202 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

1. You are free to call off the marriage as engagement does not bind one to marry. You should have issued a lawyer's notice to the girl and her family before calling off the marriage. 

2. If the complaint culminates into a FIR then immediately apply for anticipatory bail to preempt your and your family members' arrest by police. 

3. Issue the lawyer's notice for cancellation of marriage without delay,
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer