• Marriage with a foreigner

I have 3 questions: 
1. Me (indian) and my fiance (ukrainian) are getting married in Denmark this summer. We will have apostilled marrige certificate from denmark in 5 languages. We will register our marriage in Poland, where we both are living. Do I need to register my marriage under Foreign Marriage Law in India (after getting married)?
2. What are the steps to make my marriage valid/recognized in india?
3. We will have hindu wedding ceremony in India at the end of this year. Do I need a permisson from the officials to celebrate the wedding (phera and reception) in India?

Asked 11 months ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

1. Yes, marriage is required to be registered under Special Marriage Act

2. You should get marriage solemnised as per Hindu rites and ceremonies and the get the same registered with registrar of marriage. 

3. Yes. Ukrainian is required to inform its embassy and to take permission while you too required to inform ministry of external affair i.e. foreign ministry.

Siddharth Srivastava
Advocate, Delhi
1239 Answers

5.0 on 5.0

1. Yes, As per law, every NRI who marries a citizen of India or another NRI shall register his marriage within 30 days., and in case an NRI fails to register the marriage within 30 days, the passport authority may impound his passport. 

2. You can register the marriage under the Foreign Marriage Act or Special Marriage Act before the Consulate of India in Poland. 

3. No, if the marriage already register as per Reply No.2

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
13190 Answers
197 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You don’t need the validity for your marriage for doing ceremonies. You need validation only when any of spouse earlier one is objecting for said marriage in india

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
31905 Answers
179 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

Your marriage should be registered with Indian consulate under  provisions of foreign marriage act in Denmark 


2) marriage would then be valid in India 


3) you don’t need any permission for having religious ceremony in india  

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
94651 Answers
7522 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. The marriage registered in Denmark will not be recognised in India as valid  especially if you want to enforce your marital rights in India.

2.You can get your marriage registered in India under the provisions of Foreign Marriage act or Special marriage act, by following the procedures as prescribed in the act either in India or in the Indian consulate/Embassy of the country of your residence or the country where your marriage was registered. 

3. There is no restriction for you have your marriage celebrated in the ceremony that is followed as per Hindu Marriage law, though this ceremony  will not be considered as legally valid Marriage, but a ceremony post marriage.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
84849 Answers
2185 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It will register at At Indian Embassy in Poland under foreign marriage act.

Any high post holding diplomat, secretary is appointed as Marriage Officer in Embassy.

3. You can celebrate any form of wedding ceremony but it is valid and register under foreign marriage act and legal in India.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
22621 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1. You can register your marriage as per foreign marriage act before the local Indian Consulate which will be considered as valid all over the Worlds including India.


2. You can also register your marriage in India under special marriage act by applying before the Marriage Registrar one month prior to the date of registration of marriage for which the Marriage Registrar will issue a notice to  you at your Indian address.


3. You can also register your marriage as per Hindu Marriage Act in India for which you shall have to get socially married one month before the date of the registration and in that case your wife shall have to take up Hinduism as her religion.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
27221 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer