• Property registration

Dear Sir, 

My father had purchased a property (plot) on my name in 1999 through an unregistered agreement of sale and paid the sale amount to the seller. He had also taken a written notarized declaration from the seller that he  will register or complete the transfer of title at anytime as per our desire. However, my father passed away later and these papers have come into our knowledge only now. When contacted the seller is making unreasonable excuses and not showing interest to fulfill the commitment. 

Pl suggest if I can take this up legally and through the court make him complete the transaction. Also what are the chances of us winning the case basis the documents we 1) Agreement of Sale (in registered) 2 ) Notarized Surety Bond for transferring rights on our demand

Also would this fall under within permissble time limit
Asked 2 years ago in Civil Law from Hyderabad, Telangana
1) your best  option is to settle with seller and request him to execute sale  deed in your favour on payment of some consideration 

2) if he fails to do so issue legal notice the seller to execute sale deed in your favour 

3) if he fails to do so file suit for specific performance 

4) since agreement contained a clause that seller will execute sale deed at any time sought by purchaser your claim would not be barred by limitation
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44221 Answers
2565 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) You certainly have a legal remedy. Issue a legal notice to the seller demanding registration of the Agreement . Be ready to pay the stamp duty involved .

2) It would be worth negotiating with the seller and settle the matter out of court as this can save you time and legal expenses involved. This becomes possible only if he settles for a reasonable amount.

3) If he does not come forward and register the property as had been agreed, upon demand, you can file a suit in the civil court for specific performance. You have a fair chance of winning the case on basis of the documents that you possess.

4) Your case is not hit by limitation as the clause in your agreement says 'complete the transfer of title at anytime as per our desire'The  seller is then bound by the undertaking he has made.
S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
2229 Answers
110 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. File a complaint case before your local District Consumer Dispute Redressal Forum  alleging deficiency in service and unfair business practice claiming immediate registration of the property in favour of the legal heirs of your father, damage and cost,

2. It is a very good case to win but you are required to produce documents to establish that your father had paid the consideration as per the agreement on time.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18114 Answers
438 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You should file a lawsuit against the seller to compel him through specific court directions to register the sale deed in your favour. 

2. You stand a fair chance to get the title to the property through judicial intervention.

3. Issue a lawyer's notice to him before going to court
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You have a strong case ad have full opportunity for success.  The sale agreement though not registered, can be substantial documentary evidence since  the entire consideration amount remains paid and also it will not be barred by limitation because there is no time specified in the unregistered sale agreement wherein the entire sale consideration amount has already been paid and its receipt had been duly acknowledged by the vendor. The other notarised document will corroborate your pleadings.  
Hence, you first issue a legal notice on  behalf of you and other legal heirs of your father referring to the sale agreement entered by your deceased father with him, express your ready and willingness to perform your part of contract and  demand the vendor to perform his part of contract by executing a sale deed and register the same at your cost on the time  and date to be stipulated by him as per  his convenience but within fifteen days from the date of receipt of the legal notice, failing compliance or non-response, you  may file a suit for specific performance of  contract against him.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34383 Answers
368 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer