• Name issue USA citizen and Indian

I am a US citizen as of 2020 Dec. while becoming US citizen i stripped a part of my last name becs it is very big and made is short.I have legal and court document of this name change from US court as well

Current US Name: Gurram, Venkat Kumar ( US Name)
Indian Name : Gurram Hanumanth Rao, Venkat Kumar ( India)

Note : In US name the "Hanumanth Rao" is stripped.

I have my old Indian name in current Aadhar Card, PAN card and college and school documents.

Now the issue is i am planning to buy a property in Hyderabad, i am not sure what name to use ? If i use Indian name the folks
mentioned it is easy the registering the land as the Sub registar off ( SRO) office looks only the Aadhar and PAN card and not US passport details ? Should i move forward this way ?

 If i use US passport name it will-become issue in registration of my property as i dont have supporting indian documents with that name and to update Name in Aadhar and PAN card it takes long time since i live in US. Updating Aadhar and PAN card living in US is not possible.

My plan is to not complicate things around yo register the land with indian name only and not to update Aadhar and PAN card till couple of years i sell this property ?

Please help if i am good with my plan ?

Asked 1 year ago in Property Law
Religion: Other

2 answers received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

6 Answers

You can purchase property using names in Aadhar and pan but they will not match with your u.s. passport name. It is better to change names in Aadhar and Pan as it will not take more than fifteen days. You can also use the  conjunction “also known as, a.k.a. and subsequently get the  names in aadhar and pan changed if you are in hurry.

Ravi Shinde
Advocate, Hyderabad
4041 Answers
42 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) purchase property in name as reflected in Aadhar card 


2) sale deed should reflect your Aadhar card name 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
94695 Answers
7528 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You cannot indulge in any fraudulent activity in this regard.

If your acts of fraud has been unearthed at a later stage you will have to face more lgal complications, hence take a wise decision to avoid indulging in such activities to ensure your future safety. 

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
84896 Answers
2191 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear client I am sorry to hear that but in this case you have update your name.

Anik Miu
Advocate, Bangalore
8854 Answers
110 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Now in every registration you require adiar and pan in India 

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
31930 Answers
179 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

Either you can use both the name by inserting alias in the agreement. And show both names in the agreement.


Second option is change the name according to your USA name 

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12928 Answers
255 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer