First Name - Mohan Babu ; Surname - None
First Name - Mohana ; Surname - Yadav
I have legally changed my name long back on Jan -2010, first I initiated affidavit (Deed poll) then I published my name change in 2 different local News papers (Amar Ujala & Dainik Jagaran).
later i submitted the original Deed poll along with my old passport in Passport office to reflect the same (new name) in my new passport.
I received the New passport with New name on March 2011,
When i talked to the majority of the lawyers in Kanpur, they said Passport proof is the biggest proof in Indian constitution. Just showing New and Old passport is enough to claim that I have changed my name.
But recently when I was about to make a name change in my LIC Policy, they are asking the Gazette publication. I don't know what it is?
Do I really need it? if yes, then how do I apply it?
Can I apply it now? Its almost like 5 years I changes my name.
right now i have only deed poll photocopy, 1 set of both original news paper, Old passport and New passport.
Asked 1 year ago in Constitutional Law from United States
1) change of name has to be published in official gazette
2) it is surprising that passport office did not insist on gazette publication for changing your nane in passport
3) mere affidavit and publication in 2 local newspapers Is not sufficent
4) you can have change of name published in official gazette now
Gazattee declaration is the first step to initiate to change name. Once the gazattee declaration is made, then news paper publication has to be made in vernacular and in English daily.
Now you have to apply for your name change(name with surname) in the Government gazattee.
You can do it in the government printing press of the area where you were residing or where your permanent address is .
You will have to keep the gazettee copy of the name change as your proof of your changed name.
To apply for the passport usually you need only the affidavit and the news paper publication.
You ought to have published the notification for change of name in the official gazette of the state after the same had been published in local newspapers. This missing link can be plugged in now by making the gazette publication. You should state that the name was changed 5 years back.
Thanks a lot for your response. I have few queries.
1. I changes my name, published in 2 Newspaper, changed the name in passport everything I did it in Kanpur where I used to stay, where I was born n brought up. Currently Im residing in Chennai. Hopefully will stay for long duration. Now the question is - do I have to get down to Kanpur to make a Gazette declaration or i can do it here (in Chennai) itself?
2. If I can't do it in Chennai, then where exactly in Kanpur I have to go? I talked to lot of lawyers over there, nobody is aware of to. I don't know why. if you could guide me, I'll be very much thankful.
3. What are the documents to be submitted for Gazette publication? Do I have to submit all the documents in a person or any friend of mine can submit it? Actually Im having quite busy schedule, so possibly can't bring the time out.
4. Can I do it online. If yes, could you please provide me the link? I have made a lot of search, but in vain.
5. How long the whole process will take?
Asked 1 year ago
1)For Major / Adults ( Mandatory Documents )
ID Proof : Pan card or Passport or Driving Licence or Aadhar Card or Voters Id
Address proof : Ration Card or Aadhar Card or Electricity Bill
Photo : One Passport Size Photo
Application Form : Duly Signed Application Form with all details & reason for Name change
2) As its a Online process all the documents need to be in JPEG format with File size
Procedure for Name Change in Gazette:
1. Need to Make a Login Id
2. Log in with user Name & Password
3. Fill in All the correct Mandatory details like Old name & new Name / Reason for Name Change / date of Birth , Mobile No & Email Id / Address Etc.
4. Attach All the Documents ( ID proof / Address Proof / Photo & Application Form ) & Continue
5. Select The payment options ( Net Banking / Credit card / Debit card etc)
3)visit the following website change of name.in/online-application-for-name-change-in-gazette/
1. It ought to be published in UP gazette.
2. The original advertisement published in newspaper along with its English translation.
3. You can google if it can be done online in UP, but I doubt it.
4. Not more than a week.