• Police verification

The police authorities are not accepting my notarized rent agreement on a stamp paper of 1000 rs. I was told I need to get signature from a first class magistrate? 
Where do I need to go to get this done? What is the exact procedure and whom should I approach?
Asked 7 days ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

6 Answers

You should register your rental agreement with sub registrar office 


2) contact a local lawyer 


3) for attestation of rental agreement by magistrate contact a local lawyer practising in magistrate courts 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
88369 Answers
6226 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Contact some local lawyer. There are lawyers in every Court doing such type of work on payment of fee. 

Ravi Shinde
Advocate, Hyderabad
2816 Answers
42 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

What is the purpose of verification to be done by the Police.

You can ask the police about the law involved in it to insist on the signature to be obtained by Judicial magistrate of first class. 

However you can approach a local advocate and ask him to file a petition before the jurisdictional magistrate seeking the relief desired by attaching the format requiring the signature of the JMFC.

The JMFC will not sign the papers without being satisfied about the requirement of law for this purpose.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78530 Answers
1554 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

A notarized agreement is a rental document which is signed in front of a notary to establish its authenticity.

It is to be noted that in case of any legal proceedings, the notarized agreement cannot be admissible in the Court, as it does not validate the rental transaction. It just verifies the documents furnished along with the agreement.  

Nevertheless, there is no legal requirement to notarize a rent agreement in India.

Stamp charges are not applicable on a notarized agreement. A notary fee is applicable, which varies between Rs 200-500.

The Registration Department has told Police to verify the registered Leave and license agreement only and not Notarized Agreement.


Thank You.

Anik Miu
Advocate, Bangalore
5001 Answers
53 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

- If you are living on rent then the police should accept the rent agreement dully signed by the landlord , and cannot refuse after taking the permanent address from you. 

- However, there may be requirement for registration of rent agreement for which you can approach your landlord , and it is an easy procedure 

- Further, if police not giving attention towards your request then you can approach the higher police official for the same. 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
10050 Answers
122 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Police will accept registered agreement as registration is mandatory got rent agreement

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27579 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer