• Succession and Letter of Administration

This question is on Delhi only.

In case of intestate death of hindu female:

Q1. Are succession and letter of administration mandatory in New Delhi or optional?

Q2. What is the court fees (in terms of value of assets) for succession and letter of administration, in New Delhi?
Asked 3 months ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

It is optional 


2) court fees in Delhi for Letters of administration 

When such amount or value exceeds ten lakh rupees, but does not exceed fifty lakh rupees.

Three and one-quarter per centum on such amount or value.



When such amount or value exceeds fifty lakh rupees.

Four per centum on such amount or value.





Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89022 Answers
6344 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. In case of intestate death of Hindu married female, the property shall devolve on her legal heirs, for this you may have to obtain a legal heirship certificate from the revenue department.

2. Letters of administration or succession certificate may not be required for immovable property. however the bank may insist on succession certificate for claiming movable i.e., money left behind by the deceased, if the said amount is huge.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79182 Answers
1611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

In Delhi probate of Will is optional. 

The Succession Certificate is required for movable assets in bank, post office, etc. where there is no nomination. 

The letter of Administration is for immovable  properties where there is dispute amongst the legal heirs otherwise legal heirs are co-owners in equal share.

I hope it would suffice your queries.



Dalip Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
1050 Answers
36 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Optional

3 Depends on value of property and maximum of 75000/- approximate


Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28054 Answers
93 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

- As per law , after the demise of Hindu female, her property & assets would be devolved upon all her legal heirs equally including her husband. 

1. Succession or admirative bond is needed to claim the fund and assets of the deceased from the bank or other authority 

- For claiming the property there may be requirement of legal heirs certificates , and which is issued by the revenue department in Delhi.

2. The court may vary from 2 to 3 percent of the value of the securities/movable properties , and the same is required to be paid at the time of issue of the Succession Certificate by the Court.

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
10262 Answers
123 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. its optional. but all organisations like bank, housing society insists for a LA or succession certificate. so the party has to ultimately apply for it

2. for that you need to inform the value of assets 

Yusuf Rampurawala
Advocate, Mumbai
6990 Answers
79 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Mandatory , if you want to transfer the property in the names of the legal heirs. If you're just using the properties for your own usage, then it's not required. It will also be required if you all are looking to sell the properties.

2. 1 percent of the value of the property



Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
6080 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer