• Blackmail for money

My grand father and paternal aunts are blackmailing my father to give money to them or else they will move against my father insulting him by approaching his work place and neighborhood areas.

Also one of my aunt has threatened that they might poison my grand father and file a case against my father.

As per our knowledge My grand father had lots of money in terms of land, but we do not know why they are asking for money all of a sudden. 
My father had disconnected from all of them due to some very unpleasant circumstances and does not seek any of the property they have/had.

Is there any way we can confront this situation. Please help.
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Asansol, West Bengal
Religion: Hindu
1) record threats received by your father from his relatives 

2) your father can file police complaint of criminal intimidation under section 506 of IPC against his relatives
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44243 Answers
2568 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, it is better you can lodge a police complaint against the grandfather and paternal aunt.

2. According to my experience they will not do anything they just wanted to extract money from you.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4528 Answers
202 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

If the demand for money is persisting and at one stage if it is going beyond control then you may  lodge a complaint against those trouble makers with the local police for criminal intimidation and threats posed by them. 
If you keep going  away then you may be troubled more and more, instead turn back and give them a fight back, they may run helter skelter.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34406 Answers
368 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Your father should seek a restraint order through a lawsuit injunction against his father and sisters so that he is not defamed and also not harassed for any harm done to his father.

2. In the absence of an injunction it may get difficult for your father to wriggle himself out.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. The query is deficient in providing details,

2. How much money they are asking and why?

3. Are they asking money for maintenance? 

4. Please note that your father is liable to maintain his old father & if he refuses to do so, your grandfather can file a maintenance petition before the Court who may direct your father to financially maintain him,

5. Your grandfather's having property has no consequence in the responsibility of your father to maintain him.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18121 Answers
438 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer