• Birthdate is correct on birth certificate but wrong on all my documents/school leaving/passport etc.

Recently I found my birth certificate from a local municipal corporation and I was surprised I was using the wrong date these many years in my all documents. This is maybe mistaken first by the school and I carry forward the same.

So the Correct Birthdate: is 18/09/1983 (According to recently found birth certificate)
Incorrect Birthdate: 08/09/1983 (As per all other documents like school leaving / passport/driving / Aadhar etc)

I did not realize my birthdate until today after I received my birth certificate from the municipal corporation.

Now, it is impossible for me to update 100 of documents having the date 08/08/1983, so is there any legal way to update the date of birth on a birth certificate instead?

Asked 1 year ago in Civil Law

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

- As per law, you cannot rectify / change any content like name or DOB in the academic certificate after two years from the date of passing of the same. 

- However, other documents can be corrected after submitting the proof of correct DOB with an affidavit and public notice in the newspaper. 

- Since, you cannot correct all the documents , then after enclosing the passport & some other documents with an application , you can submit before the birth registrar for correcting /issuing a new or correct DOB certificate . 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
11189 Answers
149 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Write an application requesting the changes required, to the Municipal Corporation Office.

2. Submit:

- Original Birth Certificate.

- A declaration signed by notary on stamp paper & state all the changes required.

3 - Proof of changes required in Birth Certificate

4. Follow up with the Municipal Corporation Officer & it will be issued

5. Documents required are as follows,

- Driving License

- Passport/PAN Card

- Voter ID

- Ration Card

- Education Certificates/ School Leaving Certificate

- Consent letter from the concerned Hospital regarding correction to the effect

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
91289 Answers
6810 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client, 

You can't change the date on the birth certificate but you need to execute an affidavit and newspaper publication stating your correct date.

Thank You

Anik Miu
Advocate, Bangalore
6694 Answers
74 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can change the date in all the wrong documents or execute a common notarized affidavit for the same

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
29613 Answers
122 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

You cannot rectify the birth certificate to your convenience.

The date of birth recorded in the birth certificate cannot be altered or amended.

If you want to alter or change the date of birth in the register for births held by the competent authority you may have to file a suit for declaration to declare your correct date of birth in the basis of the documentary evidences you rely upon.

If the court is convinced and satisfied by the documents you have produced before court, it may pass an order to declare your correct date of birth and may direct the concerned birth registrar to amend the date of birth accordingly.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
81467 Answers
1827 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

 It is possible to correct the date of birth on all documents including passport but the procedure  is cumbersome and time taking. Your best option is obtain a fresh certificate as on date borne by all document. Under Section 15 of the Registration Of Births And Death Act you can also get your date of birth corrected but that is also not easy.

Following is the procedure under Births and Death Registration Act for obtaining birth certificate …

  1. Apply to municipal authority for birth certificate as shown in certificate. Municipal authority will give a certificate that no such birth is registered on that date.
  2. Submit an application to the Executive Magistrate/Tahsildar/MRO for direction to municipal authority for birth certificate  on the date mentioned in documents with following  .
  3. A notarized affidavit stating that you birth took place at home on the said date and the same is not registered.
  4. “No birth registered certificate” issued by municipal 
  5. Notarized affidavit of mother and father (if alive) stating that you birth took place on that date and it is not registered.
  6. First page copy of passport and education certificate of 10th. SSC etc.
  7. Executive Magistrate/Tahsildar/MRO will give direction to municipal authority for issuing birth certificate.
  8. Take that direction to municipal authority and apply for birth certificate  on said date.
  9. You will get required birth certificate on payment of Rs. 50/- fee to municipal 


Ravi Shinde
Advocate, Hyderabad
3812 Answers
42 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

But in your case there is not big gain. You are getting benefit of 10 days.

Well you can correct the documents using a affidavit or court order if you still wish to proceed.

Ankur Goel
Advocate, Bangalore
454 Answers

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer