• Deceased husband's bank account details not known

After getting surviving member/legal heir certificate, can it be shown in bank to get details of accounts, or is there any other method, to force the bank to give details of accounts. or can the court during application for succesion certificate summon the bank manager to give account details?
Asked 2 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

4 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

10 Answers

on basis of legal heir certificate approach the bank to get details of bank accounts standing in name of deceased account holder 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
94654 Answers
7523 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

All rights of deceased accounts holder are transferred to that legal heirs once court issued a legal heir certificate. Every legal has a right to obtain detail of  accounts and bank is bound to furnish the same. Such requisition for detail can be directly made to the bank.

Ravi Shinde
Advocate, Hyderabad
4041 Answers
42 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes, show the certificate to bank and also court can summon the bank.

Khyati Malik
Advocate, Bhopal
91 Answers
2 Consultations

Not rated

- You can get the details of husbands account after submitting the proof of his death certificate and the said legal heir certificate , and bank cannot refused for the same. 

- However, if you are not a nominee in his account , then the bank can ask for Succession certificate for transferring the fund to you. 

- Further, for filing the Succession certificate petition , you will have to provide the details to the court at the time of granting the certificate. 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
13199 Answers
197 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes court can summon the bank manager for details in above case

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
31908 Answers
179 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

 while making an application to the court for seeking heirship certificate  you have to give details of immovable as well as movable property that you intend to succeed.  in capacity of a legal heir you can always ask for details.  tHE BANK IS NOT LIABLE TO CREDIT THE MONEY IN YOUR ACCOUNT UNLESS AND UNTILL YOU PROVIDE HEIRSHIP CERTIFICATE.  But, the Bank cannot deny you the details if you are asking for a lOcker number or account number or fixed deposit number. 

Devendra Singh
Advocate, Mumbai
39 Answers

4.3 on 5.0

If you obtain a succession certificate from court of law or even producing a legal heirship certificate issued by the revenue department, you can submit an application along with the copy of the same to the bank manger requesting him to furnish the details of the bank account held by the deceased account holder (husband). 

Alternately in the succession certificate case before court, you may also file an additional application seeking direction to the concerned bank manager to furnish the bank account details of the deceased person for which you are obtaining this succession certificate. 

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
84852 Answers
2188 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

A legal heir may produce the death certificate and legal heirs certificate to the bank and seek details of the accounts of the deceased. Succession certificate is not necessary at this stage.

Swaminathan Neelakantan
Advocate, Coimbatore
2790 Answers
20 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

It depends on bank. So its better you go to bank branch see the manger ask for the right procedure. There is no need to summon bank manager. Court will consider this bank account only if it is mentioned in succession certificate application.

Mukund Kumar
Advocate, Rajkot
21 Answers

Not rated

Dear Client,

                 Speak to an account representative at the deceased's bank and explain that you need to close an account. Provide the account representative with the name of the deceased as well as the account number and explain that the account owner has died.Once a Grant of Probate has been awarded, the executor or administrator will be able to take this document to any banks where the person who has died held an account. They will then be given permission to withdraw any money from the accounts and distribute it as per instructions in the Will.Keep in mind that most banks won't allow you to withdraw money from an open account of someone who has died (unless you are the other person named on a joint account) before you have been granted probate (or have a letter of administration)

Thanks & Regards

Anik Miu
Advocate, Bangalore
8826 Answers
110 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer