Dowry and mental harassment
My in laws asked 10 lac cash, gold ornaments,furniture, and all electronic goods from my parents in form of dowry. My parents were fulfilled all demands but from first day of my marriage my mother in law started abusing me and my parents in front of me for dowry and related goods, she deal me like a servant and didnt allow me to talk my parents, she took all my jewellery and wedding related clothes and goods. I am a working girl so I joined my job back after wedding, then my husband and sister in laws forced me to give my entire salary to either my mother in law or husband. Thay verbally abused and harass me mentally for asking money from my parents, I fulfilled their desire from my salary. When after 1 year of our wedding I got pregnant. Then due to complications related to my pregnancy, I had to give resignation from my job, just after that my husband left me at my parents home, and he is not ready to take any responsibility of me and my child. My in laws also break all contacts with me. They are not ready to bear any expanses related. My husband already took all my savings by saying that he needs money urgently. On contacting them they started abusing me and my family and putting false blame on me and my family that my parents are interfering by letting me stay at their place so better they take my lifetime responsibility. I am suffering from hypertension from their behaviour. After being contacted by my gynaecologist my husband denies to take any responsibility and he has not contacted me from 2 month and he is not answering to my any call. Now I wanted to take legal action against them. Please guide me. Its really urgent for me to know.
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from Delhi, Delhi
It is really unfortunate to know your case history.
Do not worry, if you persevere then guilty can be punished.
1.Do visit a local police station and lodge a complaint against your husband and in laws in details about the tortures perpetrated upon you including the demand of dowry.
2.On the basis of your complaint , case u/s 498A, 406. 323, 506 IPC can be started.
3.Thereafter file case under PWDV Act claiming for maintenance and medical expenses. It will be granted.
After these cases of your husband realise his guilt, reforms himself and ask for your forgiveness, you can seriously think of reconciling with him again, at lest for the sake of the child.
1) your husband and in laws are sadists . they dont deserve any lenient approach .
2)immediatedly file police complaint against your husband and in laws for dowry harrassment and for return of your streedhan . under section 498A read with 406 of IPC
3) also file complaint under DV act and seek protection order against your husband and in laws .
4) seek alternative accommodation from your husband and maintenance for the child and your self .
5) also seek compensation for the mental agony you have gone through and also litigation costs
What evidence are needed to make my case strong. how can I prove their cruelity, if it was verbally??? My husband and mother in law forced me to commit suicide many times, but in front of everyone they are extreme sweet. My husband took all money from me in form of cash. They are so smart and double face. They denied all blames when my parents talk to them about my condition and torture, and broke all relationship inspite of talking. But I have emails which I send to him and call history, which left unresponded by my husband, also all the cash of dowry was transferred to account of my in laws from bank account of my Father. These evidence would be sufficient????
Asked 4 years ago
1) in your complaint you have to mention that all jewellery has been kept by your husband and in laws received by you at time of marriage .
2) you have to mention the facts narrated by you in your query namely you were not allowed to talk to your parents made to do all the household chores . the entire salary was taken by husband by forcing you to with draw cash from your savings account .
3) you must have confided in your friends and relatives . their testimony would also help you in your case
4) emails / chat history are admissible in evidence .
lodge a complaint against your husband and in laws in details in women cell of your area and also file complaint under DV Act in the court of judicial magistrate
Advocate, New Delhi
1. The instances of proof you are talking about are enough to prove your case.
2. DO not worry. Your case does have very good merit.
3. Now take steps without any delay.
1. Your husband and in-laws deserve the most stringently punishment under the law of the land. Immediately go to the nearest police station and file a complaint for dowry harassment and return of stridhan against your husband and in-laws. If police refuses to register the complaint or does not take action against them in pursuance of the complaint then you may directly file the criminal case in the court whereupon court will proceed against them in accordance with law.
2. In addition to above, file a complaint for domestic violence against your husband and in-laws to seek protection and alternative accommodation at your husband's expenditure.
3. Furthermore, also file a case for maintenance for yourself and your child against your husband as it is his inescapable legal and moral duty to provide financial support to you and his child.
1. The narration of all the incidents in a chronological order would suffice to the registration of a criminal complaint against your husband and in-laws and their prosecution in accordance with law. You are not required to furnish any water tight proof of their culpability for registration of a criminal case against them.
2. E-mails are valid proof of the commission of an offence and can be used in a court of law.
3. Initiate the legal action without any further delay as delay will afford an escape route to them.
1. You collect as much evidence as possible to prove that you have been tortured for dowry,
2. There may be emails, audio recordings etc.,
3. Decide to terminate the relationship by teaching them a god lesson. Law is in your favour,
4. Lodge a police complaint u/s498A, 406, 324 & 506 of IPC against your husband and all his family members who tortured you,
5. File a DV case for maintenance, residential right, protection,
6. Engage a local lawyer having expertise in the field.